cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We have to drive past Gettysburg on the way to the DC Temple. We need to stop there sometime and check it out.
Take one of the Tours there. The guided tours are well worth it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #22
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Take one of the Tours there. The guided tours are well worth it.
The Cold Harbor battlefield in Northern VA is a sobering Civil War site. Trenches, bullet riddled trees and finding an occassional bullet fragment mark this hallowed ground.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Ground Zero, every morning.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
Ground Zero, every morning.
I know that's a moving experience for people, but for some reason it doesn't approximate the other battlefield experiences for me. It's eery, but it doesn't feel as sacred.

In a battlefield, people knew they would be fighting and dying but still fought knowing death was possible and in many instances probable.

Ground Zero is the result of unexpected death. As is OKC. So I perceive weirdness, as if it's a disconnect. Perhaps I'm disconnected.

Does anybody else experience that, or am I alone?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
nikuman

Quote:
I know that's a moving experience for people, but for some reason it doesn't approximate the other battlefield experiences for me. It's eery, but it doesn't feel as sacred.

In a battlefield, people knew they would be fighting and dying but still fought knowing death was possible and in many instances probable.

Ground Zero is the result of unexpected death. As is OKC. So I perceive weirdness, as if it's a disconnect. Perhaps I'm disconnected.

No, I agree with that. It's a very patriotic experience, but there is an overwhelming sense of meloncholy in that these people are not those who chose to give their lives for freedom. Rather, I think of it as an experience that bonded us as a nation. I haven't been to battlefields, so this is the best I can do. The effect is somewhat trivialized by the daily repetition, I might add.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #26
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

I've never been to either place, but in my head the sentiments are the same, and it makes perfect sense what you just said. Gettysburg was a very sobering experience IMO.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well we're talking about different things. I didn't liken Murrah building to a sacred battlefield. And yes, it's beyond eerie to be there now.

For me, seeing what remained of the building awakened me to how safe we really are. Which I suppose is somewhat ironic. But that's the impact it had on me.

Now, the memorial to the USS Oklahoma, or reading of those that died at Normandy, something like that instills an entirely different kind of patriotic respect.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think 9/11 has bonded us as a nation. We have an assinine president who due to his policies as a result of 9/11 have divided and demoralized the nation.

And that is the irony. We are more divided and less respected since 9/11.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Visiting Ground Zero I was definitely moved. It was more a general somberness and reverence feel than a patriotic feeling. Gettysburg was the most moving of any battlefield I've visited. Bunker Hill was the most patriotic feeling of any battlefield I've visited. But Ellis Island gave me the most patriotic feeling of any site I've been. Maybe it was because I had recently watched Gangs of New York and had listened to U2's These Are The Hands That Built America about 50 times.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #30
nikuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think 9/11 has bonded us as a nation. We have an assinine president who due to his policies as a result of 9/11 have divided and demoralized the nation.

And that is the irony. We are more divided and less respected since 9/11.
Let me rephrase: bonded us for a short time.

Personally, I thing Ground Zero is a circus right now. People selling all sorts of wares, family bitching and moaning about how they don't like this or that in the plans, tourists all over the place. It's certainly not a place of solitude and reflection like it once was, back when I moved here.