cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 AM   #21
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent most of my formative years in the unincorporated area of Utah County in between Salem and Woodland Hills. We liked to call it Dream Mine City (for those who know the reference).

The great debate that I had with the locals was over the pronunciation of the word "tour," which they pronounced "tore" (which I thought hickish) and I pronounced "two-er" (which they found faggy).

The other debate was over who hated "richies" (rich people) the most. Once, I had fisticuffs with a kid in 4th grade because I said in class that my dad had been on a trip to Wyoming. This made me sound like a "richie" (remember, the trip was to Wyoming) so I had to take him down. Luckily I surprised him because he did not expect someone as "richie" and "faggy" to go all Ralphie from Christmas Story on him. So that was my one succesful fight.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I will inherit 100 acres if land on Boulder Mountain after my parents are no longer with us. It was supposed to be 25 acres, as it was going to be divided in four between my siblings and I, but I offered each of them a few bucks and a handful of magic beans for their shares and they accepted it for the immediate gratification of $.

Hopefully, I won't inherit the property for many more years.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I spent most of my formative years in the unincorporated area of Utah County in between Salem and Woodland Hills. We liked to call it Dream Mine City (for those who know the reference).

The great debate that I had with the locals was over the pronunciation of the word "tour," which they pronounced "tore" (which I thought hickish) and I pronounced "two-er" (which they found faggy).

The other debate was over who hated "richies" (rich people) the most. Once, I had fisticuffs with a kid in 4th grade because I said in class that my dad had been on a trip to Wyoming. This made me sound like a "richie" (remember, the trip was to Wyoming) so I had to take him down. Luckily I surprised him because he did not expect someone as "richie" and "faggy" to go all Ralphie from Christmas Story on him. So that was my one succesful fight.
We used to go up to the dream mine all the time. You would always hear stories about an old man guarding the gate and how he would shoot at you. I never did see him.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in La Mesa, a suburb of San Diego. Back when I was growing up, that was an rural area.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I grew up in La Mesa, a suburb of San Diego. Back when I was growing up, that was an rural area.
San Diego? That explains a lot.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Our family owns a ranch in Nevada which is beautiful and very different from most of Nevada.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #27
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
my wife grew up in Genola. Her family has about 50 acres out there right now, at one point had thousands.

We are actually going ot the Genola town celebration on saturday they usually get about 200 people which is the whole town.

Here nearest neighbor was a 1/2 mile down the road, i believe they even still have 1 ward to this day, although they do have a chapel which is about 80 years old.

A few days ago some developer tried to get a 250 unit subdivision passed, the city council tried to sneak it through and the towns people found out and freaked. They went to the council meeting and tried to uproot all of hte city council members. Doesnt look the subdivision is happening now.

Also you still have to have at least 2 acres to build a home out there.
Sounds about like Wallsburg, the location of my ill-conceived upbringing. Except it's 5 acres to build a home out there.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #28
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Heber had about 4000 people while I was growing up there...
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #29
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I once spent a week in Delta, Utah visiting a floormate from my freshman year at BYU. I got there and said "so what do you guys do here?" He said it was Friday night, so we'd go cruising. Turns out it was just us and some 4H babes out there. Very disappointing.

The next day his dad handed us each a shotgun and said we could go fishing. We went out and shot carp from a high bank at the side of a creek. Now THAT was living.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #30
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Heber had about 4000 people while I was growing up there...
I'm amazed at how quickly Heber and Midway have grown.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote