cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
You're now kidding right? Or rather perhaps I should wright the reason you contrive arguments is to support your view of the world and disdain of Mormon faith to mask your guilt and longing for peace of mind when you actively engaged the spirit.
Actually, no, I think he's correct. It's strictly an ad hoc argument: For some reason, the skeptics believe they must disprove carbon dating in order to uphold the OT as literal. So they've constructed this criticism of the method.

But I'm no expert and I'd be interested in any academic corroboration of the criticism, if anyone finds any.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #42
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is a common misconception, self-delusion or disingenuous statement depending on how informed is the speaker. Anyone makes this assertion loses all credibility with me.
It's a reality you can only deny by putting the credibilty (euphemism for intelligence) in question. Ergo if I espouse the idea that scientist exercise faith I am not truly capable of intelligent discourse with you.

Such a tatic is demonstrative of an arrogance that has rendered a truly inquiring mind lazy and feable.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You're now kidding right? Or rather perhaps I should wright the reason you contrive arguments is to support your view of the world and disdain of Mormon faith to mask your guilt and longing for peace of mind when you actively engaged the spirit.
Come on. Barbara just posted that she couldn't find an unbiased (I assume she meant by that a non-Christian affiliated) critique of carbon dating. The purpose of carbon dating is to establish a timeline for the earth tell how old it is. Why do you think religious people care about how old the earth is?

As any geologist will tell you, before carbon dating and Darwin it was geologists against whom religious people were contriving arguments. Evidence that the earth is hundreds of millions of years old is everywhere to be seen. The Greeks even figured it out without the benefit of carbon dating. But this simple truth does violence to Genesis' take on creation.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #44
SeattleUte

Quote:
It's a reality you can only deny by putting the credibilty (euphemism for intelligence) in question. Ergo if I espouse the idea that scientist exercise faith I am not truly capable of intelligent discourse with you.

Such a tatic is demonstrative of an arrogance that has rendered a truly inquiring mind lazy and feable.
Well you think all history is mythology, and a belief that science is faith certainly goes hand in hand with that. Who would have thunk religion would be the last bastion of moral relativism?

—Paul Auster
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #45
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Actually, no, I think he's correct. It's strictly an ad hoc argument: For some reason, the skeptics believe they must disprove carbon dating in order to uphold the OT as literal. So they've constructed this criticism of the method.

But I'm no expert and I'd be interested in any academic corroboration of the criticism, if anyone finds any.
I am not a sceptic; I am however a realist with regards to what is consdered knowledge in academia, science and even religion. I do not wish to tear down carbon dating in an ad hoc attempt to uphold religous literalism. The tone and manner in which critical opinion in regards to carbon dating is summarily dismissed as religously motivated is beyond absurd and offensive.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 AM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Come on. Barbara just posted that she couldn't find an unbiased (I assume she meant by that a non-Christian affiliated) critique of carbon dating. The purpose of carbon dating is to establish a timeline for the earth tell how old it is. Why do you think religious people care about how old the earth is?

As any geologist will tell you, before carbon dating and Darwin it was geologists against whom religious people were contriving arguments. Evidence that the earth is hundreds of millions of years old is everywhere to be seen. The Greeks even figured it out without the benefit of carbon dating. But this simple truth does violence to Genesis' take on creation.
To create means to organize. Genesis only tells us that God created the earth (or organized the existing matter) in the beginning. Mortals decided when that beginning was, before there was carbon dating. I'm guessing that most people, if asked, would say that they believe the earth has been around for a long time. Even Mormons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #47
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not a sceptic; I am however a realist with regards to what is consdered knowledge in academia, science and even religion. I do not wish to tear down carbon dating in an ad hoc attempt to uphold religous literalism.
I'm sorry TB, I didn't say you were a skeptic or really make any comment regarding you. I was merely commenting on the provenance and motivation of the critiques of carbon dating.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #48
tooblue

Quote:

I am truly not interested in how old the earth is, I am interested in it's origins. Please don't insult me with such a lame attempt to goad mine or anyone elses sentiments into a neat and tidy catagory to be mocked.

You continually deny the truths of your religous upbringing in favor of outmoded and weak minded sensationalistic rhetoric. let go of your guilt and put away your fear of yourself. For that is what truly frightens you; the zeal you once had and long for.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #49
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
To create means to organize. Genesis only tells us that God created the earth (or organized the existing matter) in the beginning. Mortals decided when that beginning was, before there was carbon dating. I'm guessing that most people, if asked, would say that they believe the earth has been around for a long time. Even Mormons.
That may be so. All I'm saying is that people who attack carbon dating invariably have an agenda which is to try to retain credibility of the traditional biblical 6,000 year timeline. Scientists themselves admit carbon dating lacks certainty in many respects. But those who seek to discredit carbon dating as wholly invalid are 6,000 year old earth advocates, seemingly invariably.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #50
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm sorry TB, I didn't say you were a skeptic or really make any comment regarding you. I was merely commenting on the provenance and motivation of the critiques of carbon dating.
Understood. My tone is aggressive, I need to be more considerate.