cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Actually it is not apparent that anybody really gets it.

the problem with much public discourse the true lack of anybody to question their own positions.

First, many persons don't even understand the process of thinking, argumentation.

Arguments are developed by the adding or subtracting of premises into conclusions.

If anybody reviewed most statements here, most people here simply make declaratory statements and believe they actually constructed an argument.

Second, people too often simply cite news articles which draw the conclusions which they draw. Snipe does this. Mike Waters does this. Despite the intelligence of these two posters, I've never seen either get into the nitty gritty of the subject matters. There's a reason, in order to properly analyze, time and space necessitate short cuts, sometimes to rely upon others to do their thinking. All forms of thought in part rely upon the developments of others. As Newton is purported to have said, "If I've seen further than other men, it is because I have stood upon the shoulders of giants." I.e., he did not have to reinvent the wheel, but simply refined it.

Third, it is still important to challenge core thoughts to understand refined principles, e.g., start with faith, if we want to understand the celestial kingdom.

So Rocky, what others are pointing out, is you often make conclusory statements, when simple baby steps might be more impressive.

I doubt I have much credibility, but I'm usually not attacked vociferously despite my eclectic, sometimes conservative views.

Nobody here has a perfect thought process, and politics rarely involves "truth", but rather relative pragmatics depending upon perspectives.

Example. What devices are important to protect against terroism? From the perspective of an FBI agent, any means which improves his performance is a help. From a lawyer's perspective who's seen abuses in the field of liberties, another perspective is in order. To the senior lady in Queens, yet another and finally for an Arab, Muslim American a radically different perspective. There is NO one political truth about any issue. Only a consensus of minority views.

Good luck. Two cents.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 AM   #42
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
So I say to him, "Excuse me, but I believe you spelled condescending wrong."

I thought it was pretty funny, but he didn't seem to think so.
Anyone else see the irony in this post:

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=1648093

Pay close attention to the second paragraph.....and then to the fact that in his signature, he is poking fun at someone else who misspelled something.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #43
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever

Pay close attention to the second paragraph.....and then to the fact that in his signature, he is poking fun at someone else who misspelled something.
I don't know whose more condescending, me or you. :wink:
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #44
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
So I say to him, "Excuse me, but I believe you spelled condescending wrong."

I thought it was pretty funny, but he didn't seem to think so.

Poking fun yes, but at someone for whom he obviously has great respect. I see his message, in the end, as being that spelling is really insignificant. What matters is the tangible results one produces.

The question then is, was he aware of the implications of his misspelling of underwear? Is anybody really that calculating?

As for many Ute Fans getting their panties in a wad over every utterance that comes forth from the mouth of CB, well I'll let them speak for themselves.

:twisted:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote