cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I would get a lab or retriever. They meet all your criteria.

No need to worry about the dog in the winter as all you need to do is put in a dog run with a doghouse. They don't feel the cold like we do.

The Pedigree ads are right: Dogs rule.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #32
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a Shitzu, Poodle, Yorkshire terrier mix. Our dog was bred this way on purpose. He is about 25-30 lbs, so not tiny but not huge, good size dog.

The day we brought our little girl home from the hospital she was in her carrier, he walked right up to her sniffed her and then sat down right next to her and would not move. He is very protective, has never biten anyone, was a little tough to house break, Does not shed whatsoever, and is full of energy.

Great dog. Oh and he is black (but not poor Waters!) and his name is Leroy.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The absolute worst are the people that keep their dog on chains. There is a special place in hell for those sorts of people.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The absolute worst are the people that keep their dog on chains. There is a special place in hell for those sorts of people.
I agree with this. Our lab was free to roam the backyard. The run didn't have a gate on it so she had access to her doghouse anytime she wanted it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #35
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
But, I do think dogs are social creatures and want to be around people. Why doesn't your wife want it in the house? Cleanliness issue?
Allergies and cleanliness issues. Extreme cleanliness issues.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #36
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let me guide you through what it will be like to keep a dog in your backyard.

1. He will jump on you and otherwise freak out when you and your kids go in the backyard. Why? Because he is so excited. Your young children will quickly learn it isn't fun to be jumped on. You will get mad at the dog. He won't understand, and it will be a mess.

2. Your dog is barking. You don't know why. It is irritating. You poke your head out the back door. He freaks out and barks more. your neighbors complain.

3. Your dog craps everywhere in the backyard. The only time you find yourself with the dog is to feed him, give him water, and clean the crap. Your dog freaks out. It sucks.

4. You go on vacation. You can't take the dog with you, because you don't think it can behave. You have to pay a kennel to keep him. It's expensive. You find yourself not making trips, because of the dog.

5. You finally get tired of it all. The kids don't care about the dog. You don't care about the dog. You try to give it away. No one wants your unmannered backyard unadjusted dog. You give it to the animal shelter, hoping it will be adopted, knowing it will probably be killed.

The end.

Better to not have a dog than go through this.

Judas Priest dude, you act as if I have no clue about dogs and dog ownership. I'm not applying for membership in the cougarguard dog owners club, I'm simply trying to get opinions on dog breeds. Having grown up with dogs at home, both inside dogs and outside dogs, I'm well aware of the pros and cons of dog ownership, training and barking issues, etc.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #37
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a lot of dogs when I was a kid, some inside and some outside. They all seemed pretty happy. If you take careof them it can woirk either way.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #38
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike Waters hates puppies too?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2596978

What is it with this place?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote