cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #31
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Now you've made me very curious. Why is Mesquite different than the others on your list. I've been to all of those towns and I can't say that any of them stand out (except maybe Battle Mountain; nowhere else do the enromous white letters "BM" perched on a hillside seem more appropriate).
Two words - great golf. It has more of a southern Utah feel to it than do the other towns that I've listed. The other towns along the I 80 and I 70 (or is it 50?) corridors have very few redeeming qualities. Especially Lovelock. At least Winnemucca has a sense of humor about their pitifulness. Remember the big road sign tourism campaign of the 80s and 90's? "Winnemucca and proud of it!".

And I still get a little chuckle everytime I drive through BM, Nevada. It brings out the kid in me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #32
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I take it you don't like Eureka, California either.
Whats wrong with Eureka? Aside from being the marijuana capital of California, its a great area. In fact, much of Humboldt county is a nice little vacation getwaway. Just so long as you don't mind 53 degree water at the beach and overcast skies until 2:00 every afternoon.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #33
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Two words - great golf. It has more of a southern Utah feel to it than do the other towns that I've listed. The other towns along the I 80 and I 70 (or is it 50?) corridors have very few redeeming qualities. Especially Lovelock. At least Winnemucca has a sense of humor about their pitifulness. Remember the big road sign tourism campaign of the 80s and 90's? "Winnemucca and proud of it!".

And I still get a little chuckle everytime I drive through BM, Nevada. It brings out the kid in me.
I haven't been to Mesquite in a long time so I'll take your word for it. Lovelock's not so bad. Well, OK, it is, but it could be worse. You may recall some years ago in a very wet winter there was a big stomr that shut down the Donner Pass and caused a quarry next to the freeway in Reno to flood and buckle the road, etc. we happened to be trying to get over the pass that weekend and could not get through until the next day per the radio so we decided to just stop in Lovelock, take it easy and try in the morning. We found out that thesource of civic pride in town is the courthouse, which is actually kind of cool, and that, at the time, they were soon going to be building a brand new Chevron across from the soon to be brand new McDonalds. Quite a place.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #34
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Pretty much anywhere in Wyoming or Idaho.
I'm pretty sure that you've never left I-80 in Wyoming. Its one of the best kept secrets of the west. At least as far as natural beauty goes. Sure you may have to drive 3 hours to get to Walmart or Costco, and your state football program will suck, but there are some amazing places in the cowboy state.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #35
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I take it you don't like Eureka, California either.
Well, I guess I am not a great fan, but not sure I put it in the same category as Mesquite.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Actually, if I moved to Austin, it would be as a Sooner missionary to lost Longhorn souls. I would be aiming to restore Longhorns to the true gospel of Soonerism. I think I'd start with Matthw McConaughey. I bet he needs some ministry.
Knock yourself out.

By the way, I remember looking through the OU football roster a few years back. I recall being stunned by the number of players from Texas on the roster. (stinkin' traitors)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #37
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i know a lot about crappy cities.

1. Anderson, Ca
2. Ogden,Ut
3. Springville,Ut
4. Redding,Ca
5. Eureka, and Yreka, CA
6. All cities in Nevada along 1-80
7. Ely, NV
8. Whereever Johnny Lingo lives
9. Vallejo, Ca
10. Jerome, Id
11. Tremonton/Garland, UT
12. Wherever Sizzle went to highschool
13. All of Texas
14. Mcallister, Ok
15. Nogales, Mexico (actually this should be number 1, except Anderson has most of Nogales' residents living there)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #38
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Knock yourself out.

By the way, I remember looking through the OU football roster a few years back. I recall being stunned by the number of players from Texas on the roster. (stinkin' traitors)
They aren't the traitors, they're the rejects.

(I can't believe I just used a smiley face.)

Hey, why does the smiley face in the post look different than the one I clicked on when drafting the message?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #39
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
They aren't the traitors, they're the rejects.

(I can't believe I just used a smiley face.)

Hey, why does the smiley face in the post look different than the one I clicked on when drafting the message?
Et tu, Creek?! How many Longhorn sympathizers are there around here?

The smileys drive me bananas. The ones that I click aren't the ones that show up. I think it's some kind of mindgame on Mike's part. Or perhaps an I.Q. test that I'm failing.

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #40
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Et tu, Creek?! How many Longhorn sympathizers are there around here?

The smileys drive me bananas. The ones that I click aren't the ones that show up. I think it's some kind of mindgame on Mike's part. Or perhaps an I.Q. test that I'm failing.

Sorry. It was a low blow. It was just too easy especially knowing that someone here (you) would actully care.