cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
My in-laws surely consider, for example, Shostakovich and Stravinsky as Classical, and I think they died maybe in the 1960's.
Rachmaninoff as well, IMO.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Rachmaninoff as well, IMO.
Absolutely. I love him. In fact, we were listening to him today when the questions came.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Absolutely. I love him. In fact, we were listening to him today when the questions came.
To discuss natural selection, perhaps you could put some of the Motor City Madman's stuf in the CD and crank it up. Ain't nuthin' better than discussin' biological studies with the sounds of Cat Scratch Fever in the background. And foreground.

Ted Nugent rocks.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
To discuss natural selection, perhaps you could put some of the Motor City Madman's stuf in the CD and crank it up. Ain't nuthin' better than discussin' biological studies with the sounds of Cat Scratch Fever in the background. And foreground.

Ted Nugent rocks.
Good idea. "Son, our forebears were something like this."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have always thought that natural selection and creationism are the same thing. Things evolved to a point, and once they reached a point satisfactory to God, He instilled the Light of Christ.

Thus the commandment to "multiply and REPLENISH the Earth."

You can't replenish what you didn't already have.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I have always thought that natural selection and creationism are the same thing. Things evolved to a point, and once they reached a point satisfactory to God, He instilled the Light of Christ.

I am with you on this, though you were able to say it much better than I ever could have.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #17
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is six and insatiably curious. She asks me about DNA and how it controls what we look like, natural selection, etc., all the time. I always answer with the scientific explanation, to the best of my meager knowledge.

We don't attend church often. Nor do we do the bible stories or BOM stuff. But she has a super Catholic friend in her kindergarten class who is always telling her stuff about bible stories. So she asks me about them. My bible stories are a bit rusty, so I give her the low down on Adam and Eve. And she looks at me and gives me the "yeah, right" look. Oops. I made a parental boo-boo. I might be raising a cynic. I guess we better do some of the religious stuff after all. The poor child needs to be prepared for the grillings she gets from her grandparents at the very least.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

One problem: the hebrew word for which the translators supplied REPLENISH is most likely a mistranslation. Of all of the occurences of the hebrew word "male" in the bible (some 249 times), it is translated as "replenish" only seven times:

accomplish, 7; consecrate, 15; expired, 3; fill, 107; fulfil, 28; full, 48; fully, 2; gather, 2; misc, 14; overflow, 2; replenish, 7; satisfy, 2; set, 6; wholly, 6.

The most common translation, as is here seen, is "fill," which frankly makes the most sense in this context. At any rate, no definitive doctrine can truly be derived from the distinction between "fill" and "replenish," as the difference came about only in the translation from Hebrew to English.

This, of course, does not debunk any sort of evolution theory, which is entirely possible. It does show that this argument can't support that theory.

Last edited by All-American; 06-16-2006 at 07:25 AM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #19
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
You should at least add some classical jazz to the rotation. You don't need to wait another 50 or 60 years to know that Thelonius Monk or Charlie Parker had it right.

Why only classical and how do you define classical?
Most people define it as anything orchestral and/or anthing ever written by a now-dead composer. In reality it is just one of the musical composition periods: Middle Ages(400-1400; Leonin & Perotin - this stuff isn't exactly easy listening), Renaissance(1400-1600; de Prez & Palestrina), then Baroque(1600-1750; Bach & Handel), Classical(1750-1820, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven), Romantic(1820-1900; Berlioz & Brahms), and Modern(1900-2000; Bartok, Adams). My favorites are Bach, Handel, Beethoven, & Brahms.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #20
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I like about an understanding of the Bible and the Christian tradition is the way it opens up a whole different level of understanding of so much Western civilization lit. I want my son to be able to enjoy reading Moby Dick, or The Red Badge of Courage and understand the nuance the author has put there.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote