cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

At my wife's pestering, I signed up about two weeks ago, thinking this would be stupid. I've since been pleasantly surprised.

I haven't found any long lost friends yet, but I am keeping more up on what is going on in my and my wife's family. My mother passed away last year. She always kept me up-to-date on the rest of the family, so with her gone, I've tried to do better at calling and emailing my 9 siblings to keep up on things. I've done better, but still have a hard time staying connected, especially since they are all out west and I'm in MN.

Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to. I'm sold on it.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #22
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to...
Without actually having to talk to them!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

My experience with facebook has led me to believe that it's nothing more than an online family reunion. I have a ton of cousins on there.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
At my wife's pestering, I signed up about two weeks ago, thinking this would be stupid. I've since been pleasantly surprised.

I haven't found any long lost friends yet, but I am keeping more up on what is going on in my and my wife's family. My mother passed away last year. She always kept me up-to-date on the rest of the family, so with her gone, I've tried to do better at calling and emailing my 9 siblings to keep up on things. I've done better, but still have a hard time staying connected, especially since they are all out west and I'm in MN.

Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to. I'm sold on it.
You are using Facebook to keep tabs on your SIBLINGS? To get "glimpses into their lives?" How about a phone call or an email?

Log off of this chatboard now and please do not return until you have your life and priorities in order.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You are using Facebook to keep tabs on your SIBLINGS? To get "glimpses into their lives?" How about a phone call or an email?
The phone call makes sense as more effective communication, the email not so much. I think what he's saying is that he means to make more contact but struggles to actually do it. I am much the same. Checking in with facebook now and again he'll see photos and be able to read a little about what's going on that week. That will no doubt lead to feeling a little closer to family. My parents have a "myfamily.com" page that has led to us all being in contact far more frequently than we used to be. Facebook is every bit as good and it's free.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #26
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Why would I want to reconnect with people I purposefully expunged from my life?
C'mon Fus...lets be honest here, don't you mean: "Why would I want to reconnect with people that purposely expunged me from their lives?" And I think with that corrected statement of yours, you are absolutely correct.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

SO I was sitting here and decide, "hey, what the heck, I goning to sign up and give it a try." So I signed up. I then searched for my surname, which is rather uncommon, and as I perused the search results I did, indeed, feel like a complete creep. I iwll likely not go back. Thanks a lot Steel.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
SO I was sitting here and decide, "hey, what the heck, I goning to sign up and give it a try." So I signed up. I then searched for my surname, which is rather uncommon, and as I perused the search results I did, indeed, feel like a complete creep. I iwll likely not go back. Thanks a lot Steel.
Nice, lol.

I thought I'd take a look at the site to see what it's like and when I realized I would have to sign up before I could even look at it, I decided that it wasn't worth it.

All those people I don't want to contact will just have to deal with the reality that I don't care.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

This primer on online networking may come in handy for SB.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1420/satur...t-live-myspace
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This primer on online networking may come in handy for SB.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1420/satur...t-live-myspace
Dang. That was very funny.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote