cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #21
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

We prayed in some of my classes, and in some of them we didn't. I wish we wouldn't have had to pray in Spanish class, I dreaded my turn because they make you pray in Spanish. It's the only times I can remember being REALLY nervous about offering a prayer.

We prayed in my math class, econ class, physical science, and religion classes, but that's about it.

My little confession is that I didn't make it into BYU on the first try. So I had to spend a few years in purgatory before I could get in. BYU's education was so much superior to the education I was getting elsewhere that there was no comparison. I'd go back to BYU again for sure.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus

I found someone who didn't look like a yard gnome to marry me.

Negative

Education mediocre.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #23
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

During undergrad, I don't think I had any classes with prayers except Religion, but then most of my classes were in that bastion of liberal apostacy, the Humanities Department.

In grad school I don't remember any public praying.

This was early 90s.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Plus

I found someone who didn't look like a yard gnome to marry me.
You sure know how to sweet talk about the ladies.

The guy that told me about the prayers and photos may have been exaggerating as he is a huge, and I mean HUGE, fan of BYU (travels to all of the football games every year no matter where they are being played) and thinks that most Mormon kids that don't go there will probably apostatize and, as some of you may know, my son chose not to go to BYU and this guy sort of likes to remind me what the consequences of his choice may be for his eternal soul. That sort of thing (don't misunderstand, he is a good guy and I like him; it's all friendly). But he did insist this was true.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #25
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

In Eugene England's classes, we had a prayer before every class. I remember one time, one of the feminist chicks started her prayer, "Our dear Heavenly Father and Mother. . ."

My head wasn't the only one that popped up at that.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I was there 93-95. Don't recall the pictures. I do, however, remember that almost all classes began with a prayer.
I was there during that time period. Religion classes started with a prayer. Outside of religion out of dozens of classes in many different fields, not a single one started with a prayer.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely go to BYU again and this time I would stay for all my undergraduate years. I had a fantastic time in the year and a half that I was there.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #28
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
In Eugene England's classes, we had a prayer before every class. I remember one time, one of the feminist chicks started her prayer, "Our dear Heavenly Father and Mother. . ."

My head wasn't the only one that popped up at that.
I had a couple of those experiences at BYU. My favorite was when the SP's wife closed her prayer "in the name of truth and light."
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #29
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
We prayed in some of my classes, and in some of them we didn't. I wish we wouldn't have had to pray in Spanish class, I dreaded my turn because they make you pray in Spanish. It's the only times I can remember being REALLY nervous about offering a prayer.

We prayed in my math class, econ class, physical science, and religion classes, but that's about it.

My little confession is that I didn't make it into BYU on the first try. So I had to spend a few years in purgatory before I could get in. BYU's education was so much superior to the education I was getting elsewhere that there was no comparison. I'd go back to BYU again for sure.
We prayed in my Russian classes, but not in my science classes. I thought this was interesting. I think the average IQ was higher in my science classes, and I think people with higher IQs realize that praying for a good exam score generally doesn't help. On a related note, I never understood why my fellows students would pray that we would "all do well on our exam" in classes that were graded on a curve.

However, in one of those same Russian classes we had a great compare and contrast between Nephi and Raskol'nikov from Crime and Punishment. Our professor (who used to be my mission president) asked us if what Nephi did was different from what Raskol'nikov did. The answer, in my opinion, is that the crimes were not different. Of course, the vast majority of the students said that Nephi was noble because "God told him to do it," while Raskol'nikov was evil.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 09-28-2007 at 11:08 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #30
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Solon - please reply if you could do it over again would you have gone to byu instead of Utah (Solon was enrolled at byu only to realize the error of his ways a day before classes started.)
I had nearly wiped this temporary insanity from my memory.

BYU has better Ancient Near East programs than Utah, which caused my brief flirtation, but I ended up in Classics anyway.

Besides, if I had gone south - besides hating myself for being associated with an institution that limits academic freedom and enforces pseudo-doctrinal policies against caffeine - we couldn't have been roommates, and thus I would have never witnessed Mormon Red Death pulling off "the roommate switch" with a young lady right after Utah beat Arizona to go to the Final Four. That was a day to remember.

Or the time you seduced a girl despite her boyfriend, using word-play mind tricks. "It's all in you're mine." Welcome to the Ricky Powell Club.

Or the time you convinced that girl (BYU girl, no less) to spend the night - and then she made you breakfast, just like in the movies.

Or the time I won $180 playing nickel-ante poker all night.

Or the time you saved me from the amorous advances of our gay neighbor by inventing a girlfriend for me.

Or the time we were in Wendover, ran into your mom, and ended up playing blackjack at her table all night.

Or the time . . . never mind.

So, yeah - I'm pretty glad I didn't end up going anywhere but Utah.