cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Not at all mutually exclusive, SteelBlue,

Consider driving a car -- after so many years, driving a car is something you probably 'just do,' never mind the fact that you are behind the wheel of thousands of pounds of steel with the capability of destroying life and limb. You probably keep a safe distance from the driver in front of you, and you probably don't even think when you signal to turn the car. Putting on your seat belt is probably automatic, with hardly a thought. And, if you ever screwed up bad, you could tragically become aware of the emotional, physcial, and spiritual implications of driving a car.

If you were constantly thinking about all of that as you were driving, you might not be able to focus on the road.
So a condom protects one from emotional and spiritual implications? I'm just not sure how a just do it approach allows for caution with those implications. I agree with you that sex is a great thing. I myself am a big fan! But I think it's important that it happens within the bonds of marriage for many reasons. After that, well then I'm all about the just do it approach.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
SteelBlue

Quote:
I can imagine all sorts of situations outside of marriage where it could be fine. Try it yourself. Let your imagine run away with this one
What do you think I thought about all day from the ages of 12-18?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
SteelBlue

Quote:
You stopped at 18?! LIAR! :lol:
I had to cut back from "all day" for a couple of years there. :wink:
Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The reason sex gets so much emphasis in society is because there is so much taboo garbage involved. Burning Man is the cure for everything. At Burning Man, sex is just something that people do. Like anything that you do, you have to be careful--you should wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle, and you should be very cautious about sex too, because it has physical, emotional, and spiritual implication. But the uptightness about sex that we see in society today is, IMO, one of the main reasons sex and the representation of sex in the media, is so freaking jacked up.
I am often frustrated by the level of sexual repression in our society and especially in the Church, but your wish for a "Burning Man" type of approach is naive. As one who lives in the inner city, you should be acutely aware of the problems associated with teen pregnancy, broken families, etc. Today's society is much more sexually open than it was 50 years ago, and we see the toll it has taken on our families. Things are not better now than they were then.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you caught me sleeping with your wife, which way of thinking would you be closer to? Burning Man's, howYaDoing, dude? or The 'Hood's, get the F... of my woman Mother F...er!
Am I to assume that if you came home early from work and found your wife with another man, you'd be okay with that? If that's true, where do you live and what time do you get home from work? :wink:
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course it is necessary and even essential! I think many of you would be suprised at just how liberal the brethren are in respects to this issue ... go ask your Bishop, he will tell you it's divinly approved for more than just making babies :wink:
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote