cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 03:09 AM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
But I've seen it on divorce petitions. Okay, there's not actually a box for that, but I think there's another angle for you to look at it.

I think withholding sex is just as selfish as sex on demand. Sure, there may be circumstances where a person may have to go their whole life without sex.

Let's put it this way. I think sex is a necessity to a marriage. There are people (more often wives) who have very low sex drives. To force the other spouse conform their sex life to the lowest common denominator is extremely selfish. And I don't think a marriage where there is this kind of selfishness, is built on a solid foundation.

While you may not die from the lack of sex, your marriage might.
I've heard that problems in the sex life of a married couple is a factor in divorce, and I don't doubt it at all. I agree that it is selfish for either spouse to withold or demand it.

Robin eluded to the fact that extramarital sex as a result of one spouse lacking something in the sex department. I agree with this, which is why I've posted before that I believe that God encourages sex in a marital relationship in order to not stray.

You said that sex was a necessity to marriage. Perhaps you and Robin are saying the same thing.

I didn't think my original question would generated a thread with this much discussion. But I suppose, that's what a discussion board is for, eh?

I still say that it's a want more than a need.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 AM   #32
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife wanting you to listen to her is also a want rather than a need. But you'd damn well better do it if you're ever going to get anything that you "want".

I think true intimacy of all types (sexual, emotional, spiritual, intellectual) is a "need" for a marriage. That's what I've always considered as "cleaving one to another." And I think intimacy involves giving as well as receiving.

Now I'm going to go try to get a job with Hallmark. :roll:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:11 PM   #33
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

From Tuesday Morning Quarterback on NFL.com:

Amazing New Stress Cure: Last week's column included an item on the book The Velocity of Honey, which is about whether commonly believed truisms can be scientifically confirmed. A few days later this study by the English researcher Stuart Brody found men and women have lower blood pressure and experience less stress for about a week following intercourse. This seemed scientific confirmation of a widely held belief among the married, namely that couples get along better if they've had sex recently. Brody speculates that intimacy boosts production of the hormone oxytocin, which in obstetrics is used to induce labor, but also has a mood-elevating and calming effect. So sex simulates a hormone that gives you a pleasant afterglow, making everything seem better for a few days.

A small point and a big point about this come to mind. The small point is that since studies show married people get more sex than singles (see the book The Case for Marriage by the University of Chicago sociologist Linda Waite), lack of this afterglow hormone may be causing single people to be stressed out. The big point is that this study seems part of the answer to a mystery of biology: Why human beings alone among mammals engage in sex at almost any time, plus have far more sex than is necessary for reproduction. I've long thought the fact that sex is so very pleasurable is one of the arguments for God. Evolution did not need to make sex delightful; perhaps a loving Maker wanted us to experience physical joy with each other. The Garden of Eden stories have a sexual undertone, and a happy one: In the state of innocence, God expected men and women to enjoy life.

Switching to science, evolutionary psychologists speculate that the steady human desire for sex evolved to help ancient males bond with ancient females; men would stick around for more nooky, and in the meantime, assist women with the long phase of dependency human children require. Now Brody's study suggests another evolutionary pathway for the human desire for getting busy. If frequent sex lowers blood pressure and reduces stress, this may make the sexually active more fit in Darwinian terms, and thus more likely to pass along their genes. I don't know if "Hey baby, how's your oxytocin level?" will ever work as a pickup line, but Brody's study does indicate anyone in a committed relationship is advised to get horizontal. Science endorses sex!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM   #34
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Feel free to email that to your significant others...
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #35
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

All this cigarette talk has given me the nicotine munchies!
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine
HAs anyone heard of affirmation.org a gay former lds site. Deseret book used to have forums and a fag came on there saying stop attacking his family went to temple, been on mission but couldnt help his orientation and if didnt act would commit suicide.
Some lady with a son that had ssa said he would rather have his son in a monogomous fag relationship than to commit suicide. Both are pretty good ways to get to the telestial kingdom. That is like saying I would rather have my son rob a bank than burn it.
Fag said he knew other fags that commited suicide said blood is on church leaders hands and how we treat them is not Christlike. Like Jesus the same person that cannot look upon sin iwith the least degree of allowance would tolerate gross immorality.
They commit suicide because Samuel the Lamanite said it is impossible to have peace in inequity and Ama said wickedness never was happiness. And they chose to commit suicide.
I dont think someone commits suicide cause they dont act on ssa urges is there anyone that comited suicide cause they didnt act on it. Many people live without experiencing sexual relations and it doesnt cut there life one day.
I heard this may be myth that someone knew someone that only time they slept together was when they wanted kids other times guy slept on couch. They had 12 kids and are divorced. Primary reason for reproduction is so we can be here. Society would die if no one did it. However an individual wont.
Grape, the more I know you the more I wish YOUR PARENTS had abstained from sex.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote