cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Australian Open

I note that my boyfriend, Roger Federer, emerged victorious from this past weekend's Australian Open final. It was not nearly as exciting as last year's final, although I prefer the result. I'm going to miss the daily tennis (this year's matches were almost all outstanding). That is all.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is just in the past year that Roger has started to make some headway with the American public. I guess what is really lacking, from Americans' point of view, is an American tennis superstar. Like Agassi. At least on the men's side.

There are some similarities with Manny Pacquiao. Both are the best in their sport, one of the all-time greats, and both made a dent in the American sports conscious public in 2009.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think it is just in the past year that Roger has started to make some headway with the American public. I guess what is really lacking, from Americans' point of view, is an American tennis superstar. Like Agassi. At least on the men's side.

There are some similarities with Manny Pacquiao. Both are the best in their sport, one of the all-time greats, and both made a dent in the American sports conscious public in 2009.
Well, we have Roddick, who has a grand slam title and has been a top 10 player for quite a while. He was even #1 briefly several years ago. But with Federer and Nadal at the top and so dominant for so many years, it's been hard for players anywhere to make any headway at the top. I recently mentioned Roddick to my bro in law, and he didn't know who that was.

There are a couple of American up-and-comers like Isner and Quarrey, but part of the problem for American players, I think, is that you have to be ready by the pros by your late teens, and I'm not sure the American culture supports that kind of dedication at such an early stage (esp because it's more like mid 20s when you really hit the big time). I recently saw and Agassi bio on tennis channel, and they showed Agassi and Sampras first met as competitive tennis foes at age 7 or 8. 7 or 8!? Mercy.

Perhaps Federer leaks into the American consciousness a little given his affiliation with Tiger Woods. They have done commercials together and have been compared in many ways. Unfortunately, that's no longer such a great way to be compared.

At least we have the Williams sisters to dominate. Unfortunately for me, I don't enjoy them.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote