cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caster Semenya, what to do

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl..._semenya_.html

In one sense, it would seem quite unfair to strip Caster of the medal won, as anything unique about Caster is not Caster's intentional doing.

I note Caster is being advised to seek surgery to eliminate the internal testes. OTOH, I wonder if the genetic condition has enabled Caster competitively.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Internal testes like that are removed due to the risk of cancer.

It's a real conundrum on what to do.

If you look at her, she looks very masculine, and the reason for that, in my mind, is testosterone. I have no doubt that she has a natural chemical advantage, being in some blended state of male/female.

I don't have a problem if she stays on and owns every record and wins every race. Of course, in my mind, I would attach an asterisk to her accomplishments.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This may not actually be news to Semenya (kind of an unfortunate name, no?). She may have already known of her condition, but kept it secret.

In America it would be rare for a woman of her age to not know about her condition on this basis: she has never menstruated. She has no uterus, therefore no lining to shed. For most girls/women, this would be something that would lead to medical workup.

Having said that, she apparently grew up in poor circumstances, and may not have ever seen a medical professional re: her amenorrhea.

On the other hand, this may have been a conspiracy.

I thought it was interesting that a South African official threatened "World War Three" over this. Slight hyperbole.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This may not actually be news to Semenya (kind of an unfortunate name, no?). She may have already known of her condition, but kept it secret.

In America it would be rare for a woman of her age to not know about her condition on this basis: she has never menstruated. She has no uterus, therefore no lining to shed. For most girls/women, this would be something that would lead to medical workup.

Having said that, she apparently grew up in poor circumstances, and may not have ever seen a medical professional re: her amenorrhea.

On the other hand, this may have been a conspiracy.

I thought it was interesting that a South African official threatened "World War Three" over this. Slight hyperbole.
South African officials knew and deceived.

Fraud.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/09/19/...ene/index.html