cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a decent entry level MB?

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_124739.shtml

I have a line on one for the wife, so I wondered if it is of good quality.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

The Trek Fuek is considered a high end mountain bike. It is probably overkill for what it sounds like you want to do.
You can't go wrong with a Trek. Period. Even if you spent a lot less money.
BTW, I recommend a hard tail. Especially if you want a CC bike. Fuer moving parts to worry about. And most are a soft enough ride as it is.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Archaea

You're the first to recommend hard tail, because I don't want to be beat up, and in races, modest as mine may be, they give one more control, or so I'm told, and are faster.

So you counter that.

Here's what I understand, uphill one needs the lockout system, downhill one needs the travel to maintain control. Young guys don't mind the hard tail, and bigger guys seem to be less bothered by it. Those of us who are lighter need the travel to gain control.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

You make a good point.
if you are planning to race, than a full suspension bike is probably the way to go. I figured you were looking for a good trail bike. In which case a hard tail is great.
If you have a line on a Trek Fuel, they are great bikes. Can't go wrong.
Specialized also makes a great bike for a reasonable price.
Or look at the Cannondale. I think it is callled a Lefty.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Archaea

I've also heard of Fisher and Hoo Koo E Koo, but don't know about them. Somebody told me Trek bought those as well.

I'm just an old guy looking to gain some fitness through harsh training. My wife complained today that I don't know how to have fun. She used the example of my being displeased with fourth place, when I stated, "but my times sucked." Training is serious business. Of so are chess, word play, internet research, scripture chase, karate, movie selections .....
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just glad you might be on aluminum.

THe new full suspenmsions are supposed to avoid pedal bob, but I don't know. I have a full suspensions that is a few years old and it allows lock out for climbing. I almost always lock it out when going up. It is fun to bomb down the trials however. Mine has XTR and I like it quite abit, but have little to compare with. My freind loves SRAM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've also heard of Fisher and Hoo Koo E Koo, but don't know about them. Somebody told me Trek bought those as well.

I'm just an old guy looking to gain some fitness through harsh training. My wife complained today that I don't know how to have fun. She used the example of my being displeased with fourth place, when I stated, "but my times sucked." Training is serious business. Of so are chess, word play, internet research, scripture chase, karate, movie selections .....
The whole point of fitness (for me anyway) is to have fun. I train hard so I can have a fun weekend mountain bike ride with my brother.
I have a large field by my house that has a 3 mile dirt loop around it with lots of rocks, jumps etc. When I need a change up, I go race myself doing laps. I try and make the last lap faster than the first.
If it isn't fun, then it's a job. Riding, running and whatever else you do needs to be fun.
Mountain biking for me, provides that aspect to my training.