cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Families with doomed marriages should give newborns for adoption?

From a BuzzFeed story on Romney:

Quote:
(The church’s position is that if a happy marriage between parents of a newborn seems unlikely, adoption is preferable to single parenting.)
I don't recall ever hearing this odd counsel, or reading it any handbook. Any idea where this comes from?

The context is a pregnant woman who came to Romney seeking counsel as a Bishop. Allegedly Romney threatened her with excommunication if she didn't offer her child for adoption. (Romney denies this)

Another strange aspect to her story. She eventually left the church, but not over this incident. Instead ...

Quote:
When her new son was nine months old, he needed risky surgery, and a frightened Hayes called Romney and asked him to confer a blessing on the baby. But instead of coming himself, Romney sent two church members Hayes didn’t know.
Perhaps some delinquent home teachers? A very odd thing to leave the church over, and an even more odd thing to put in a news story.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The church's position that a child born-out-of-wedlock, where marriage is not going to occur, should be put up for adoption and not raised by a single parent or grandparents.

Counsel is different than criteria for membership. Excommunicating someone for choosing to keep their child would be out of bounds (by a wide margin) from what I know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I agree that the first statement sounds consistent with my understanding about the Church's position on what an unmarried woman ought to do if she gets pregnant. Some do become single parents, of course, but officially that's not the best option.

I once went to some program at church (RS hour) that seemed to be aimed at getting members to channel their umarried, pregnant friends and acquaintances into LDS social services so that the babies could be available for adoptive families.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I guess the way the statement was phrased confused me. I took it to refer to unhappy marriages, not non-existent marriages.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote