cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Huckabee on Obama

Quote:

"Republicans will make a fundamental if not fatal mistake if they seek to win the election by demonising Barack Obama," Huckabee told a news conference on a visit to Tokyo.

The former Arkansas governor said that, having grown up in the segregated South, he never thought he would see an African-American win the nomination of a major party for the U.S. Presidency.

"I do not want to have anyone misrepresent or miss the opportunity to celebrate what I think is a landmark achievement, not just for Barack Obama, but for the United States of America," he said. The country was able "to get to a point where we did not see his colour but we truly saw his charisma, his message and what he brought to the campaign trail." Huckabee said.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
What do you think? Is he right?

I'm inclined to agree with him.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Obama can be defeated by exposing his horrendous policies.

That an AA has received the nomination is a step in the right direction when it comes to being color blind. I was wrong when I thought the first would be a conservative.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

McCain should stick to taking on Obama's policies, and more importantly, should come up with some great ones of his own.

He needs something fresh--jaw-dropping even--even if it's only the perception of such. He should have every conservative think tank working on something that will energize the electorate.

The guilt by association stuff that Hannity has been running is a bad idea too.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default What is considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
What do you think? Is he right?

I'm inclined to agree with him.
demonizing?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too bad the press won't call Obama's whining for what it is. Putting the American voter and anyone else who speaks out against his policies or character as racial.

I really don't like the guys policies and from about the time I heard his second speech, I have felt he was a flim flam man. He might actually be very likeable. However, he reminds me of people I know that I wouldn't want as a close friend. The minute I completely trusted him, he could stab me in the back for his own gain.

For expressing those feelings, on occasion I have been accused of being racist.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what Y you, SEIQ or Huckabee means by demonizing. If you mean we shouldn't point out discrepancies such as a staff member failing to allow Muslims with scarves in public or the Pastor Wright issue, then I disagree. If that is a codeword for not acting like bigots, then I agree.

His policies should be attacked constantly and viciously.

His personality should be savaged.

His administrative decisions should exposed.

His voting record should be soundly excoriated.

It needs to be a very divisive battle so that, should he win, it is an ungovernable situation. We should expose it to such hate and derision that nobody trusts anybody after the campaign. With that said, McCain doesn't have the stomach to do this, but this is what should occur. It should be so bad that members of the opposite party will not speak to each other.

Deadlock is better than liberal governance.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't know what Y you, SEIQ or Huckabee means by demonizing. If you mean we shouldn't point out discrepancies such as a staff member failing to allow Muslims with scarves in public or the Pastor Wright issue, then I disagree. If that is a codeword for not acting like bigots, then I agree.
I think what Huckabee is saying and I tend to agree, is that personally attacking Obama is a poor strategy. By personally attacking, I mean going after his wife, his pastor, his religion, etc. While these all may be valid issues of concern, I think there is a better way.

The biggest weakness with that strategy is that it hasn't shown to be effective. This guy beat the Clintons, the masters of the politics of personal destruction. He is impervious to those darts. He will win unless Republicans can find an effective strategy and this isn't it.

I suggest that Republicans come up with a dynamic, exciting strategy of governing. Something that appeals to those who are stretched by gas prices, health care costs, weary of the war and fed up with immigration. Something approaching a solution. An idea. Something.

Republicans are stagnant and Obama's candidacy only highlights how pathetic a party we are. If the choice is but to merely attack him as opposed to proposing forward thinking ideas, you can look forward to a Dem government for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think what Huckabee is saying and I tend to agree, is that personally attacking Obama is a poor strategy. By personally attacking, I mean going after his wife, his pastor, his religion, etc. While these all may be valid issues of concern, I think there is a better way.

The biggest weakness with that strategy is that it hasn't shown to be effective. This guy beat the Clintons, the masters of the politics of personal destruction. He is impervious to those darts. He will win unless Republicans can find an effective strategy and this isn't it.

I suggest that Republicans come up with a dynamic, exciting strategy of governing. Something that appeals to those who are stretched by gas prices, health care costs, weary of the war and fed up with immigration. Something approaching a solution. An idea. Something.

Republicans are stagnant and Obama's candidacy only highlights how pathetic a party we are. If the choice is but to merely attack him as opposed to proposing forward thinking ideas, you can look forward to a Dem government for the foreseeable future.
I was talking to the head of the HR department at a company. I was told she was not an Obama fan, but her 18 year old son was a big fan as were all of his friends. They thought he was great and the ideas of uniting the country, getting out of Iraq, free college, univeral health care, etc. were right on. You know how idealistic the young are. You can do anything at no cost, effort or consequences.

She said now though her son and some of his friends have some deep concerns and aren't so hot on his being elected. The reason. It is because of his associations with the Rev. Wright and some others. They are thinking this guy isn't so "clean" as his image in the beginning. So I am not so sure pointing out the guy just might be your standard politician who can give a great speech is a bad thing to do.

I do think it odd that Huck is the spokesman for not demonizing others, because it is a bad political tactic. Huck lives in his own world.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

In my mind, his associations with and relationships with Rev. Wright and William Ayers speak volumes as to the man's character, judgement, and worldview. Policies are very important, but we don't just vote for the policies, we vote for the man. That's important too.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I was talking to the head of the HR department at a company. I was told she was not an Obama fan, but her 18 year old son was a big fan as were all of his friends. They thought he was great and the ideas of uniting the country, getting out of Iraq, free college, univeral health care, etc. were right on. You know how idealistic the young are. You can do anything at no cost, effort or consequences.

She said now though her son and some of his friends have some deep concerns and aren't so hot on his being elected. The reason. It is because of his associations with the Rev. Wright and some others. They are thinking this guy isn't so "clean" as his image in the beginning. So I am not so sure pointing out the guy just might be your standard politician who can give a great speech is a bad thing to do.

I do think it odd that Huck is the spokesman for not demonizing others, because it is a bad political tactic. Huck lives in his own world.
The Reverend Wright association is a dangerous game. It might work in this cycle, but it will always be remembered as more vicious than it really was. Not to mention that it reinforces beliefs in Republican racism. At some point Republicans are going to have to develop a minority base and this doesn't help. It can't forvever be a mostly white people party and still stay viable.

I agree with you about Huck, but I still think he makes a valid point.