cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wham! Pow!

Hitchens unleashes on Obama.

Quote:
You often hear it said, of some political or other opportunist, that he would sell his own grandmother if it would suit his interests. But you seldom, if ever, see this notorious transaction actually being performed, which is why I am slightly surprised that Obama got away with it so easily. (Yet why do I say I am surprised? He still gets away with absolutely everything.)

Looking for a moral equivalent to a professional demagogue who thinks that AIDS and drugs are the result of a conspiracy by the white man, Obama settled on an 85-year-old lady named Madelyn Dunham, who spent a good deal of her youth helping to raise him and who now lives alone and unwell in a condo in Honolulu. It would be interesting to know whether her charismatic grandson made her aware that he was about to touch her with his grace and make her famous in this way. By sheer good fortune, she, too, could be a part of it all and serve her turn in the great enhancement.
http://www.slate.com/id/2187277/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Hitchens unleashes on Obama.

http://www.slate.com/id/2187277/
Barack's use of his grandmother's feelings as an illustration to try to approximate and justify the beliefs of Jeremiah Wright was one of the glaring weaknesses of his delivery last week.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

If Obama were being truly honest, he would admit he and his wife have the same fears he expressed about his Grandma. I have heard black persons honestly state there are times they are walking down an alley and see some black guys that they get nervous.

However, to be honest it goes more to the setting, dress, etc. than it does the color of the skin.

As your typical white guy, I have no fear of walking down a street, getting in an elevator, sitting on a bus with someone of color.

As a matter of fact, walking in an alley I would be more afraid of a white guy with long hair and all tatooed up than I would a black guy who dressed like I do.

Note: If somewhere in this post I have said something racist, I apologize.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
As your typical white guy, I have no fear of walking down a street, getting in an elevator, sitting on a bus with someone of color.

As a matter of fact, walking in an alley I would be more afraid of a white guy with long hair and all tatooed up than I would a black guy who dressed like I do.
Exactamundo.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If Obama were being truly honest, he would admit he and his wife have the same fears he expressed about his Grandma. I have heard black persons honestly state there are times they are walking down an alley and see some black guys that they get nervous.

Remember, most of the black crime in America is against their own race. It's easy to see why most blacks would get nervous as well.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote