cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default The problem with Limited Geography,

among others, is the numbers involved.

Mormon 3 describes a battle with 80,000+ combatants.

Mormon 6.10, 12-15 describes the loss of 230,000 Nephites. I assume the opposing army of Lamanites was the same size or bigger, since "And it came to pass that they came to battle against us, and every soul was filled with terror because of the greatness of their numbers." (Mormon 6.8)

The two bloodiest battles I can think of from ancient history are the battle of Cannae in 216 BC, and Arausio in 105. At Cannae, Rome probably lost somewhere between 50 and 70,000, and at Arausio, 100,000+ died in sum.

By 105, Rome controlled a large chunk of the Mediterranean Sea region.

But these battles are chump change compared with a quarter million Nephites eating iron, er. . . . stone.

With "limited geography" growing in popularity, has anyone come across an explanation for this issue?

Addendum: I suppose the obvious response will be "the numbers are inaccurate." Fair enough, but LDS seem inclined to take numbers in the BoM very literally (e.g. Lehi and 600 BC).

Last edited by Solon; 06-02-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: addendum
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote