cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge
 
MikeWaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 35,927
MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default concept 2 rower

I've been doing a little rowing recently.

I've been dealing with illness, so my fitness has been way down.

I'm mostly fast-twitch so running long distances has never been a joy for me.

5 minutes for me on the rower is forever. I did it recently for 5min at average 170 watts. I know that that isn't too great, based on the fact of my poor fitness and inexperience on the rower. So I look up what olympic type rowers can do. they average just under 500watts for a 2000 meter course.

Wow. Looks like I have a ways to go before making the olympic team.
__________________
“In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” —George Orwell
‚——’――‘;====±—-
!‚–’――ƒΉΆ
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Orgasmatron
Posts: 24,238
Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've been doing a little rowing recently.

I've been dealing with illness, so my fitness has been way down.

I'm mostly fast-twitch so running long distances has never been a joy for me.

5 minutes for me on the rower is forever. I did it recently for 5min at average 170 watts. I know that that isn't too great, based on the fact of my poor fitness and inexperience on the rower. So I look up what olympic type rowers can do. they average just under 500watts for a 2000 meter course.

Wow. Looks like I have a ways to go before making the olympic team.
You will always struggle with endurance due to your fast twitch composition, but you can improve. The response time will simply not be as quick as a natural endurance athlete.
__________________
Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon
Senior Member
 
BarbaraGordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 7,157
BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default

I used to work out with the OKCPD co-ed rowing team. In my first workout, we finished the first 2000 (I thought I was never going to make it) and the captain says, "alright, enough of the warmup," and we double the cadence. I seriously though I was going to die before the workout was over.

It gets easier over time as you learn the right technique. You're tall, right? Your height is an advantage.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge
 
MikeWaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 35,927
MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I used to work out with the OKCPD co-ed rowing team. In my first workout, we finished the first 2000 (I thought I was never going to make it) and the captain says, "alright, enough of the warmup," and we double the cadence. I seriously though I was going to die before the workout was over.

It gets easier over time as you learn the right technique. You're tall, right? Your height is an advantage.
I'm whatever you want me to be, baby. I'm a pleasant fiction.
__________________
“In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” —George Orwell
‚——’――‘;====±—-
!‚–’――ƒΉΆ
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon
Senior Member
 
BarbaraGordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 7,157
BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm whatever you want me to be, baby. I'm a pleasant fiction.
Hm. I can see how my last three sentences could be misinterpreted without context.

Anyhow, I thought I remembered you being tall in my fantasies, but perhaps I'm thinking of Seattle.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Orgasmatron
Posts: 24,238
Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm whatever you want me to be, baby. I'm a pleasant fiction.
Cool, Mike gets to use his board to pick up chicks.
__________________
Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Last edited by Archaea; 09-17-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
SteelBlue
Senior Member
 
SteelBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 5,821
SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've been doing a little rowing recently.

I've been dealing with illness, so my fitness has been way down.

I'm mostly fast-twitch so running long distances has never been a joy for me.

5 minutes for me on the rower is forever. I did it recently for 5min at average 170 watts. I know that that isn't too great, based on the fact of my poor fitness and inexperience on the rower. So I look up what olympic type rowers can do. they average just under 500watts for a 2000 meter course.

Wow. Looks like I have a ways to go before making the olympic team.
Just remember that rowing is an elite sport and making that team will not have much meaning.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
creekster
Senior Member
 
creekster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the far corner of my mind
Posts: 8,711
creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Just remember that rowing is an elite sport and making that team will not have much meaning.
LOL.
__________________
Sorry for th e tpyos.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.