cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Into the Wild, The Movie

I finished watching this last night and I enjoyed it quite a lot. The cinematography was spectacular and I thought it was a great story regardless if you agree with its accuracy or not. I thought Emile did a fine job and it is too bad he got cast in Speed Racer.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

wife rented it, but i refused to watch it after i found out who wrote it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wife rented it, but i refused to watch it after i found out who wrote it.
1,168 reviews, most of them positive. I doubt even he could drum up that many shills. You can't affect it with one review, as there are too many.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wild-Jon-...4423939&sr=1-1

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

oh and the sound track which was done by either Pearl Jam or just Eddie Vedder was very well done and fit the movie very well.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good piece of movie making - well written with great cinematography. A fine film.

But the story behind it is suspect, as CM alludes. Even if you overlook Krakauer's generosity on McCandless’ cause of death, he was a shitty outdoorsman. And when viewed in the light of how much time he spent preparing to go to Alaska - he is a complete and total failure.

Quote:
When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did
wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic and inconsiderate. First off, he spent
very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail
without even a map of the area. If he had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament using one of several routes that could have been successful. Consider where
he died. An abandoned bus. How did it get there? On a trail. If the bus could get into
the place where it died, why couldn’t McCandless get out of the place where he died?
The fact that he had to live in an old bus in the first place tells you a lot. Why didn’t he
have an adequate shelter from the beginning? What would he have done if he hadn’t
found the bus? A bag of rice and a sleeping bag do not constitute adequate gear and
provisions for a long stay in the wilderness.
http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity...n_Response.pdf
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

The movie was alright. I think this book and movie though go along with Landpoke's thread and the discussion of "creative non-fiction." I remember after viewing it with the wife we had a discussion. She thought that it was cool that he would just do that and live this minimalist life. I thought he was an idiot. I still do.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

67lb, in a sleeping bag, in an abandoned bus.

that is a tale of woe.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

He starved to death in just 4 months. He must have eaten very little. Imagine what he would have done come winter. He couldn't survive in the most fecund time of the year.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
The movie was alright. I think this book and movie though go along with Landpoke's thread and the discussion of "creative non-fiction." I remember after viewing it with the wife we had a discussion. She thought that it was cool that he would just do that and live this minimalist life. I thought he was an idiot. I still do.
is this that piece of shit fiction by Krackhead?

I'd never read anything by Krackhead again, not after Into Thin Air, and Under the Banner of Heaven.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
The movie (and book) did an admiral job of attempting to glorify the exploits of a kid who was a complete idiot. He was bound to die young one way or another.

But the scenery and music were cool.