cougarguard.com  unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
ThatSportsFan
Junior Member
 
ThatSportsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
ThatSportsFan
Default Best running shoes for a fat guy?

Today I'm going to go look for some new running shoes. I have ballooned up to 263 lbs. I liked Asics when I ran cross country and track in high school. I was wondering what is the best running shoes for a fat guy? Or should I go to our local running store and have someone do a few tests and pay a little bit more to get some shoes?
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Runner Coug
Senior Member
 
Runner Coug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 945
Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Running shoes are always cheaper than knee surgery, so yes, go to a running specialty store so they can analyze your gait and put you in the right shoe. Generally, the best running stores will carry Asics, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, and Saucony.

And don't listen to the anti-Nike ninnies that are going to respond to this thread. Nike is a fine running shoe.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
hyrum
Senior Member
 
hyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 860
hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan View Post
Today I'm going to go look for some new running shoes. I have ballooned up to 263 lbs. I liked Asics when I ran cross country and track in high school. I was wondering what is the best running shoes for a fat guy? Or should I go to our local running store and have someone do a few tests and pay a little bit more to get some shoes?
I recall Fat Albert wore high-top Converse.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the heart of darkness (Provo)
Posts: 9,564
Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default

You should definitely go to a running store. No question about it. They can analyze your foot shape, running style, etc. and find a shoe that is just right for you.

And whatever you do, DON'T BUY NIKE BRAND!!!!
__________________
"... the arc of the universe is long but it bends toward justice." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Orgasmatron
Posts: 24,222
Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You should definitely go to a running store. No question about it. They can analyze your foot shape, running style, etc. and find a shoe that is just right for you.

And whatever you do, DON'T BUY NIKE BRAND!!!!
Agreed.

Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.

Unless you like Al Gore, you won't buy Nike.

Asics, Saucony and several others make a great shoe.

Addidas suck, Nikes suck.
__________________
Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the heart of darkness (Provo)
Posts: 9,564
Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Agreed.

Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.

Unless you like Al Gore, you won't buy Nike.

Asics, Saucony and several others make a great shoe.

Addidas suck, Nikes suck.
Last time I went in I couldn't decide between Brooks and Saucony. So I bought them both and I alternate them. Great shoes.
__________________
"... the arc of the universe is long but it bends toward justice." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
SteelBlue
Senior Member
 
SteelBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 5,821
SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.
I am now on the anti-Nike bandwagon. After months of nagging little injuries wearing Nike Shox, I switched to the Brooks Trance. Amazing what a difference it makes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Orgasmatron
Posts: 24,222
Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Last time I went in I couldn't decide between Brooks and Saucony. So I bought them both and I alternate them. Great shoes.
I like the Brooks Trance 7 for short runs, and the Saucony's for the longer stuff.

Death to Nike.
__________________
Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
SteelBlue
Senior Member
 
SteelBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 5,821
SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like the Brooks Trance 7 for short runs, and the Saucony's for the longer stuff.

Death to Nike.
What's short stuff to you?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Orgasmatron
Posts: 24,222
Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What's short stuff to you?
A 10K is short stuff. Middle stuff is 8 to 12, and long stuff is 13 or longer. If you're running much shorter than a 10K, you'd better be racing or doing intervals. Otherwise, there's not much purpose to it IMHO.
__________________
Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.