cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 11-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jana Reiss's study on gays and Mormon attitudes

http://religionnews.com/2016/10/28/m...ampaign=buffer
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yikes, BYU is dead meat, at least until the Millennials are in charge of the Church.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

there's nothing surprising in that survey. Older Mormons are more socially conservative than younger ones.

Older Mormons are probably less likely to personally know a gay person. Less likely to know a gay person who grew up in the church.

The church teaches explicitly and implicitly. In the explicit teachings that are of a peripheral nature (i.e. not in General Conference, not in official lesson manuals) there has been some softening over the years toward gays. But the implicit teaching is that no way, no how will gays be accepted as they come in the church. A quiet, closeted celibate gay person will be accepted to the extent that a single person can be accepted (which isn't very well in many cases). But if you are open about being gay, whether celibate or not, watch out.

I dare say probably most of us have never met an openly gay active Mormon in our lives. I haven't. The closest I have come was a recently active, but no longer active, closeted gay man. I home-taught him. And there was no way in heck that he wanted it to be openly known that he was gay. Of course at that point he had little desire to be active either.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yikes, BYU is dead meat, at least until the Millennials are in charge of the Church.
Not sure how I feel about a bunch of pansies with safe spaces and trigger warnings who served Facebook "missions" running The Church.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
there's nothing surprising in that survey. Older Mormons are more socially conservative than younger ones.

Older Mormons are probably less likely to personally know a gay person. Less likely to know a gay person who grew up in the church.

The church teaches explicitly and implicitly. In the explicit teachings that are of a peripheral nature (i.e. not in General Conference, not in official lesson manuals) there has been some softening over the years toward gays. But the implicit teaching is that no way, no how will gays be accepted as they come in the church. A quiet, closeted celibate gay person will be accepted to the extent that a single person can be accepted (which isn't very well in many cases). But if you are open about being gay, whether celibate or not, watch out.

I dare say probably most of us have never met an openly gay active Mormon in our lives. I haven't. The closest I have come was a recently active, but no longer active, closeted gay man. I home-taught him. And there was no way in heck that he wanted it to be openly known that he was gay. Of course at that point he had little desire to be active either.
Mike, your sig was ahead of its time. Well done.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It was regional/national news when an openly gay man was called as an executive secretary. In San Francisco. That's how rare the "openly gay Mormon" is.

Like I said before, we are just now in 2016 getting to the point where the church feels okay in saying that gay people exist. Before it was just persons who experience same-sex attraction. And it's true that there are people with SSA who don't self-identity as gay. But it was like the church was afraid that if they acknowledged that being gay was a form of being or identity, and that the entire theological structure on gays (made of particle board and elmer's glue) would come crashing down.

This is an example of how slow the change currently is. But it is change..

I wonder if there is a member of Westboro baptist who is currently blogging about change in attitude toward gays in their faith and how it is slowly evolving.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It was regional/national news when an openly gay man was called as an executive secretary. In San Francisco. That's how rare the "openly gay Mormon" is.

Like I said before, we are just now in 2016 getting to the point where the church feels okay in saying that gay people exist. Before it was just persons who experience same-sex attraction. And it's true that there are people with SSA who don't self-identity as gay. But it was like the church was afraid that if they acknowledged that being gay was a form of being or identity, and that the entire theological structure on gays (made of particle board and elmer's glue) would come crashing down.

This is an example of how slow the change currently is. But it is change..

I wonder if there is a member of Westboro baptist who is currently blogging about change in attitude toward gays in their faith and how it is slowly evolving.
Culturally, the Church is often fighting yesteryear's cultural battles. It saddens me.

In a church which claims the use of revelation, it rarely leads on any social issue.