cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feelings about the Dixie Chicks...

I know that there were a lot of bad feelings for the Dixie Chicks when they came out against the war. I am just curious as to all of you that disliked them or mocked them for their stance on the war...have your feelings changed at all with the latest in the war and the change of direction by the administration?

Were the Dixie Chicks simply 'visionaries' who saw the war as misguided and ill planned about 2-3 years before Bush and the administration began to see it?
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I know that there were a lot of bad feelings for the Dixie Chicks when they came out against the war. I am just curious as to all of you that disliked them or mocked them for their stance on the war...have your feelings changed at all with the latest in the war and the change of direction by the administration?

Were the Dixie Chicks simply 'visionaries' who saw the war as misguided and ill planned about 2-3 years before Bush and the administration began to see it?
No the Dixie Chicks are like other artists who piss me off who grandstand on the stage and give me an earful of their political views instead of the music I paid to listen to. Nothing pisses me off more than paying decent money for a show to only have the artist I like go into a diatribe about Bush, the environment, or whatever else. Besides what was so courageous about what they said? If I remember when all the hoopla around them began it was performing overseas right? They should have spoken their mind at a show in Texas if they wanted to be courageous.

In fact, I hate when anything that any celebrity says politically makes the news. I don't give a hoot what George Clooney or Barbara Streisand have to say about the war or the political party.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 02-08-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
No the Dixie Chicks are like other artists who piss me off who grandstand on the stage and give me an earful of their political views instead of the music I paid to listen to. Nothing pisses me off more than paying decent money for a show to only have the artist I like go into a diatribe about Bush, the environment, or whatever else. Besides what was so courageous about what they said? If I remember when all the hoopla around them began it was performing overseas right? They should have spoken their mind at a show in Texas if they wanted to be courageous.

In fact, I hate when anything that any celebrity says politically makes the news. I don't give a hoot what George Clooney or Barbara Streisand have to say about the war or the political party.
This is how I feel too. I'm not interested the political views of people who by and large have highschool educations and highschool level sophistication at best. Might just as well wonder what the world's most talented sculpters think. Its worse than that though, because they are entertainers. Their politics don't entertain me. I won't ever like them quite as much as I used to.

That said, I did buy their new album. I thought it had only one maybe two half way decent tracks on it. Compare that to the previous one which is one of the best top to bottom albums I own. I have been a pretty big fan of theirs in the past, though I am not much of a country fan. I'll probably buy their next album too. Go to another concert of theirs? Probably not.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

What is there not to like about brilliant marketing and good old fashioned contrarian ideas voiced in the name of making a few extra bucks ... Musicians have been doing it for decades.

Idiot wantingly liberal minded savants in the states and abroad ate it up and gleefully emptied their pockets to fill the coffers of the elite entertainment capitalists of the West.

God bless America!

Last edited by tooblue; 02-09-2007 at 01:13 AM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I couldn't stand them before they put a whole shoe store in their mouth.

The lead singer is un-attractive and has a voice that sounds like she's a horse that's been shot.

The Dixie Chicks suck.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I'm with Rocky. I like country music, but I hate the Dixie Chicks, 100% because of the lead singers voice. Which is too bad, because musically they are quite good.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post

These are my thoughts as well on entertainers political views.

As for the Dixie Chicks I put them in the category of every other country musician. They make the worst music known to man, and I would prefer being repeatedly hit in the head with a hammer to listening to their music.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
These are my thoughts as well on entertainers political views.

As for the Dixie Chicks I put them in the category of every other country musician. They make the worst music known to man, and I would prefer being repeatedly hit in the head with a hammer to listening to their music.
What about repeatedly being kicked in the Jimmy by the dude in your picture... Milton Bradley or whoever it is?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm ambivalent about the Dixie Chicks. My wife likes them, but to quote Bob McKenzie, "Not my style of music, eh."

As for their politics, whatever. I disagree with approximately half the United States on politics and I've found that it's not constructive to base myfeelings about somebody because of their political beliefs.

I did hear their song "Not Ready to Make Nice" a few times on the radio this past summer. I remember thinking that it seemed like an approximate summation of President Bush's rationale for engaging in the global war on terrorism.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I'm not interested the political views of people who by and large have highschool educations and highschool level sophistication at best.
Irony alert. I don't think anyone who spends time on cougarboard, utefans or cougarguard ought to claim this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote