cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #51
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
The fact that the game was close is exactly why the refs role was somewhat larger last night. No one complains if the Jazz lose by 20.
Many were complaining in Games 1 and 2 when the Jazz were down by 15-20 both times. It was the refs again. It is always someone else's fault.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
DDD arrogant? Nah...cmon. Are you really that surprised he's a Lakers fan?
I have never heard the "snobby Laker fan" crack before.

What's next? Jokes about smog? traffic? earthquakes?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #53
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Sizzle, do me a favor. I know you love basketball and watch lots of games.

List 5 bad calls that went the Jazz's way in Games 3 and 4.
Off the top of my head? I can't. Can you? And I don't mean this rudely. I know there were bad calls that I felt went against the Jazz in Games 1 and 2 as well, but I couldn't name those. I usually get pissed, talk about them the next day at work, and forget about them.

The ones I have not forgotten were the 3 they robbed from Eisley in Game 6 of the 98 Finals when they claimed shot clock violation and the ball had clearly left his hand, and then turned and counted either Pippen or Harper a 3 that was off after the shot clock. That call is about the only one that I can say I really remember.

Last edited by TheSizzle36; 05-15-2008 at 05:10 PM.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #54
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Many were complaining in Games 1 and 2 when the Jazz were down by 15-20 both times. It was the refs again. It is always someone else's fault.
Have you ever seen a game when you thought the refs did affect the outcome? Or, in your erudite world, are they always right?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #55
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have never heard the "snobby Laker fan" crack before.

What's next? Jokes about smog? traffic? earthquakes?

It wasn't a joke, nor was I mocking. It was a description.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #56
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was working during both of the first two games, so I have no idea how good/bad of a job the refs did. But do you really think complaining about refs is unique to Jazz fans? If so, why? Is it our religion? Is it the Yewtness of the fans? I'm gonna have to hear some kind of reasoning behind this before I'll believe we're all that unique.

Point is, when the END of the game is close, the refs can play a bigger role in the outcome. At the same time, 37-4 means we've probably gotten our reasonable share of home-cooking.

I think the Jazz got hosed last night on a few calls, and it probably did make a difference in the game. But I guess that's why you play for homecourt.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #57
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Off the top of my head? I can't. Can you?
I thought Fisher's early fouls in both games were suspect, for sure. When does Fisher ever get into quick foul trouble?

A few for Walton, a few for Gasol.

etc...

Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #58
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought Fisher's early fouls in both games were suspect, for sure. When does Fisher ever get into quick foul trouble?

A few for Walton, a few for Gasol.

etc...
Game 4 I missed the first few minutes doing dishes from our Mother's Day dinner. As far as Fisher getting into early foul trouble, it happened quite frequently for him last year when he played for the Jazz. Maybe being in ESA again he forgot which team he was playing for in the first half, and remembered in the 2nd when he started making his 3s, something he didn't do nearly as effectively last year.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #59
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Have you ever seen a game when you thought the refs did affect the outcome? Or, in your erudite world, are they always right?
USA vs Soviet Union olympic basketball.

Phantom call on Lambier Lakers v Pistons Finals.

Umps giving Jeter the homer against the Orioles when Danny Meier clearly reached into the stands and interfered.

No, they are not always right. You are all over the map. You want to start moving the discussion towards the infalliblity of refs, a point which nobody here asserts.

The Jazz are a crappy road team. They have been all season. They have not won in the Staples Center this season. Last night was no different. It isnt the refs.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #60
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Game 4 I missed the first few minutes doing dishes from our Mother's Day dinner. As far as Fisher getting into early foul trouble, it happened quite frequently for him last year when he played for the Jazz. Maybe being in ESA again he forgot which team he was playing for in the first half, and remembered in the 2nd when he started making his 3s, something he didn't do nearly as effectively last year.
Or he was playing out of control and recklessly, which he does often.