cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You haven't been impacted by it. Hispanic immigration has reshaped the city of Dallas.

Dallas ISD (schools) is now 70.2% Hispanic, 22.5% African American, 4.9% White.

Of course a wealthy lawyer who has kids in private school is not going to feel any impact. You're not competing for wages, you've not had to pull your kids out of their school and move away. Hispanic immigration is the #1 factor for white flight in this area.

Unfailingly liberal elites who say none of this is an issue have their kids in private schools.
The economic impact is significant in terms of Medicaid expenditures, ESL classloads and welfare contributions. Texas, Arizona, Nevada and Cali are significantly impacted.

For example one of the unseen complications is ESL students count against graduation if they fail to graduate which affect federal funds in support primary and secondary education.

Medicaid expenditures are significantly affected.

Prisons and Jails are affected by the influx of immigrants.

Naturally, uberwealthy liberal elite attorneys in the northwest are unaffected and can judge and offer opinions about matters that do not affect them and about which they know nothing. Michael, if you or I were worth $10 to 20 Million, with nannies, house cleaners and auperes ushering them to private schools, we would think askance too about anybody believing immigration had any negative impact upon US cities.

Public schools are taxed by individuals who are not paying property taxes. The immigration issue does have a severe economic impact upon the region.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really care if SeattleUte doesn't believe that illegal immigration has no negative effects on the country.

The part that I really despise is that people like him try to shut down even having a conversation about it, by accusing all people who bring this up as being racists.

THIS is a major reason why they lost. Not just on this issue, but all the other politically correct issues. It's a kind of intellectual bullying through accusing and labeling in the name of liberal political correctness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #23
Archaea

Quote:
I don't really care if SeattleUte doesn't believe that illegal immigration has no negative effects on the country.

The part that I really despise is that people like him try to shut down even having a conversation about it, by accusing all people who bring this up as being racists.

THIS is a major reason why they lost. Not just on this issue, but all the other politically correct issues. It's a kind of intellectual bullying through accusing and labeling in the name of liberal political correctness.
Many commentators and Democrats have noted the "shutting down" of any discussion one of the reasons why Trump won and the Dems lost. It is intellectually dishonest to win a culture war via demagoguery. The issues of the Republic cannot be addressed or resolved if they are shouted down through intellectual tyranny.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 AM   #24
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been impacted by illegal immigration. I get $230 carpet cleaning for $60, $15 dry cleaning for $1.99, and yummy burritos.

Add to that, the economics profession is near unanimous on this, regardless of ideology.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Obviously I'm not an economist. But I counter your stupid burritoes with the massive devaluation of property in these cities, home prices stunted, land prices. Not to mention the expenses that Archaea mentioned. Not to mention massive wage deflation among the working class.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

By your way of thinking we could taken in many more millions of the poorest, least educated persons on Earth and this would lead to national prosperity for all. I'm sure SeattleUte agrees. He consulted with his housekeeper on this one.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...s:_An_overview
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it doesn't impact me currently. But it certainly impacted me when I lived close to the city center. The poor quality of schools forced me to move away.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
it doesn't impact me currently. But it certainly impacted me when I lived close to the city center. The poor quality of schools forced me to move away.
It doesn't directly affect me, but it does indirectly in terms of the extra burdens on state and federal resources that poor, unskilled and uneducated workers necessarily incur.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #30
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Obviously I'm not an economist. But I counter your stupid burritoes with the massive devaluation of property in these cities, home prices stunted, land prices. Not to mention the expenses that Archaea mentioned. Not to mention massive wage deflation among the working class.
I'm sure white flight only occurs when schools are bad.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113236377590902105

Poor white people. Or just maybe...