cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #41
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why not interview him before? It is just odd that BYU drags its fee so much on things so important.
I don't think this particular situation with KW is the fault of the way BYU does things. I think it's what KW wants because he is going into a bowl game against the team that wants to interview him. It might work out a different way if the bowl game wasn't just a couple of days away, or if Utah were playing a different team. KW has enough loyalty to his players and staff to keep it under wraps until after the game.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #42
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
This isn't uncommon among coaches. Dabo Swinney is an even bigger Jesus freak and he's about to win a national championship with Clemson.
Fisher Deberry at Air Force got some controversy once because of a big sign in the locker room that said something like, "We play for team Jesus Christ"
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #43
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Do you have a source for this policy aside from another message board?
No. And maybe it's not true. However, when looking at what is happening with this process I think the evidence tends to point in a certain direction. It's clear they've already interviewed two people, and at least one more -- Anderson from Stanford -- has hinted to the media that he's been contacted and is waiting for BYU to take the next step, which one can assume means a formal interview. We also know something else about Lance Anderson. He has a formal offer to join the staff at Michigan but he has not yet accepted it and has also not affirmed yet that he's staying at Stanford. Unless he's waiting to see how other possibilities pan out, it wouldn't seem like he would just sit quietly. So either he or KW is the third. There is no reason for BYU not to pull the trigger now unless they're not done interviewing.

I think the most logical conclusion is that they're waiting for their top choice, Coach Whittingham, to be ready to interview and negotiate. Will he actually come? I don't know. But I don't think Tom Holmoe would wait unless he had some good reasons to think he could get him.

Consider the following:

1. Tom Holmoe has confirmed that Bronco was pursuing other options at least as long ago as last year but that they didn't pan out until now with the Virginia job.

2. We also know that the media reported last year that Bronco was close to leaving for Oregon State. In light of what Holmoe has now confirmed, this appears to have been true. It's just that at the last minute OSU was able to get Gary Andersen from Wisconsin, which no one saw coming.

3. When the Bronco to OSU rumors were going around, the Utah media also reported that Whittingham was going to leave Utah to take Bronco's place. They took a lot of crap for saying it when it didn't happen, but knowing what we do know now to be the case with Bronco and Oregon State, this actually seems at least plausible now.

4. It's not a secret that KW doesn't have the best relationship with his boss, the good doctor up on the hill. And from remembering how Whitt got the job in the first place after the Urban legend suddenly bolted for Florida right before Utah's at the time biggest game in school history after crashing the BCS, I really don't think Whitt was really who Hill wanted for the job in the first place. He just had no choice due the the circumstances. As soon as Meyer announced he was leaving, the entire staff started scattering left and right and there was the very real possibility that Utah would have to go into their biggest game ever at the time without coaches. At the same time, BYU was talking with KW about its own coaching vacancy. To keep from going into the Fiesta Bowl without a coaching staff, "dr" Hill had to win a bidding war with BYU. He couldn't afford to lose it no matter how outrageous the price tag got. Eventually BYU decided to give it up and go with Bronco. Given how utah fans talked about KWhitt before they knew that Meyer for sure was leaving, I don't think anyone including Whittingham really thought Hill wanted him were Meyer to leave. Under different circumstances I strongly believe Hill would have conducted a national search and brought in someone else.

5. Finally, Kyle Whittingham and Tom Holmoe were teammates at BYU and have ever since remained good friends. Sometimes coaches just need a change. Kyle himself has said he was open to talking about the BYU job after the Las Vegas bowl. He could have just said he wasn't interested. BYU wouldn't be the worst change in the world for him. It' s a world he grew up in and knows. His dad coached there and he played there. The cynical internet crowd can easily chalk that up to KW just hoping to get more money out of Utah, and that may be what it is, but it's not the only possible explanation. Many people have left successful jobs before because they weren't totally happy with the boss, the environment, or just wanted a change, or whatever.

IMO, what will happen is this:

As soon as the game is over, Holmoe will try to make a strong pitch to Whittingham. If that doesn't work out and assuming Coach Ken hasn't taken himself out of the running, he will then try to lay out the red carpet for Niumatalolo. If he's no longer an option, they offer it to Kalani Sitake who everyone believes will gladly accept. I'd be comfortable with any of the three.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-16-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Coach KN can hang in the breeze that long. He will have to withdraw himself. And if KWhitt withdraws, that just leaves the coordinator candidates.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #45
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think Coach KN can hang in the breeze that long.
I really doubt he's hanging in the breeze without knowing this. If he wasn't at least open to sitting tight for a few days before finding out for sure, then he would have taken himself out of the running already. His agent has said it might take a few days. The way it's being done makes it appear as though he's just taking his time to make an important decision.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

And maybe KN can get a raise out of Navy in the process. I think all these candidates are hoping for this.

My impression is that Utah fans would not be happy at all about Whitt goign to BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #47
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
No. And maybe it's not true. However, when looking at what is happening with this process I think the evidence tends to point in a certain direction. It's clear they've already interviewed two people, and at least one more -- Anderson from Stanford -- has hinted to the media that he's been contacted and is waiting for BYU to take the next step, which one can assume means a formal interview. We also know something else about Lance Anderson. He has a formal offer to join the staff at Michigan but he has not yet accepted it and has also not affirmed yet that he's staying at Stanford. Unless he's waiting to see how other possibilities pan out, it wouldn't seem like he would just sit quietly. So either he or KW is the third. There is no reason for BYU not to pull the trigger now unless they're not done interviewing.

I think the most logical conclusion is that they're waiting for their top choice, Coach Whittingham, to be ready to interview and negotiate. Will he actually come? I don't know. But I don't think Tom Holmoe would wait unless he had some good reasons to think he could get him.

Consider the following:

1. Tom Holmoe has confirmed that Bronco was pursuing other options at least as long ago as last year but that they didn't pan out until now with the Virginia job.

2. We also know that the media reported last year that Bronco was close to leaving for Oregon State. In light of what Holmoe has now confirmed, this appears to have been true. It's just that at the last minute OSU was able to get Gary Andersen from Wisconsin, which no one saw coming.

3. When the Bronco to OSU rumors were going around, the Utah media also reported that Whittingham was going to leave Utah to take Bronco's place. They took a lot of crap for saying it when it didn't happen, but knowing what we do know now to be the case with Bronco and Oregon State, this actually seems at least plausible now.

4. It's not a secret that KW doesn't have the best relationship with his boss, the good doctor up on the hill. And from remembering how Whitt got the job in the first place after the Urban legend suddenly bolted for Florida right before Utah's at the time biggest game in school history after crashing the BCS, I really don't think Whitt was really who Hill wanted for the job in the first place. He just had no choice due the the circumstances. As soon as Meyer announced he was leaving, the entire staff started scattering left and right and there was the very real possibility that Utah would have to go into their biggest game ever at the time without coaches. At the same time, BYU was talking with KW about its own coaching vacancy. To keep from going into the Fiesta Bowl without a coaching staff, "dr" Hill had to win a bidding war with BYU. He couldn't afford to lose it no matter how outrageous the price tag got. Eventually BYU decided to give it up and go with Bronco. Given how utah fans talked about KWhitt before they knew that Meyer for sure was leaving, I don't think anyone including Whittingham really thought Hill wanted him were Meyer to leave. Under different circumstances I strongly believe Hill would have conducted a national search and brought in someone else.

5. Finally, Kyle Whittingham and Tom Holmoe were teammates at BYU and have ever since remained good friends. Sometimes coaches just need a change. Kyle himself has said he was open to talking about the BYU job after the Las Vegas bowl. He could have just said he wasn't interested. BYU wouldn't be the worst change in the world for him. It' s a world he grew up in and knows. His dad coached there and he played there. The cynical internet crowd can easily chalk that up to KW just hoping to get more money out of Utah, and that may be what it is, but it's not the only possible explanation. Many people have left successful jobs before because they weren't totally happy with the boss, the environment, or just wanted a change, or whatever.

IMO, what will happen is this:

As soon as the game is over, Holmoe will try to make a strong pitch to Whittingham. If that doesn't work out and assuming Coach Ken hasn't taken himself out of the running, he will then try to lay out the red carpet for Niumatalolo. If he's no longer an option, they offer it to Kalani Sitake who everyone believes will gladly accept. I'd be comfortable with any of the three.
I'd be pissed if Kwhit is chosen. He is more than a proven coach, but cannot make all the elite LDS recruits come to BYU. Not the same impact.

It'd be another case of nepotism, old boys network.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #48
ChinoCoug

Additionally, I polled Cougarboard and they think Niumatalolo has an offer by 2-to-1. If the rational expectations assumption holds true (People's guesses are correct + additive noise, ask a lot of people and it'll average the correct answer), he should be mulling it over right now.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
ChinoCoug

All you godless communists don't want public expression of religion.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
And maybe KN can get a raise out of Navy in the process. I think all these candidates are hoping for this.

My impression is that Utah fans would not be happy at all about Whitt goign to BYU.
And you have a problem with that?