cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Technology

I finally joined the folks in this new century and got a smart(er) phone. Chunked the blackberry curve and got a droid x.

Huge leap.

We've had a number of cell phones over the years. My first phone that could check my gmail was a little red sprint flip-phone. Could take pics and mail them as well. Then I got the HTC SDA, which was much more advanced. Ran windows mobile, so could do essentially all the things that a smartphone is generally asked to do...email, pics, music, voice activation, file system. But the screen was small and it was extremely slow at doing all those things. I could even watch slingbox on that phone with wi-fi. Blackberry curve was another step up, but not a revolutionary advance. Better at email, certainly better at typing, having a full keyboard (versus using t9 on the SDA). My curve could do about anything I asked--google maps, email, music, pics, camcorder (really crappy at this), full web browsing (with opera), even youtube videos. But again very slow. With the Droid X, my phone is actually now a computer. I've seen all the videos, I've messed with the apple ios (we have a touch), but in person, it is quite impressive.

I know this is nothing new to most of you, who upgraded long ago. Just wanted to get my 2 cents in. I was addicted to my phone already in the past, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. There's going to be so much data flowing through this thing, it's going to fry my balls as it sits in my front pocket.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One cool thing on my phone is the program "LDS Tools" put out by the church. Apparently there is a better 3rd party app that does more and does it better. But anyway, this app gives me all the contact information for people in my ward and stake. No more having to get to a computer and login to lds.org (my blackberry's opera browser had suddenly not worked with the lds.org website anymore).
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This Google Translate app is very cool.

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...slate-for.html

The voice-to-voice feature for English-Spanish is very cool. I could have used this big-time in the Mexican supermarket a couple months ago (no one there speaks English).
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Oh boy. A new tech monster has been created! I don't know how I ever lived w/o my iphone.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still resisting. I can resist.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
Oh boy. A new tech monster has been created! I don't know how I ever lived w/o my iphone.
Before your iphone you were satisfied to be a heterosexual. It was ok to live like that, back then, for you.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You can keep track of new posts on CG with this app:

http://googlereader.blogspot.com/201...Reader+Blog%29