cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If there are attributes taught in any book of scripture that bring you the peace and comfort of the spirit, live them. If you don't feel right about it, don't. Life isn't about racking up enough points to qualify on paper for the BCS; it's about who you become.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #12
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
If there are attributes taught in any book of scripture that bring you the peace and comfort of the spirit, live them. If you don't feel right about it, don't. Life isn't about racking up enough points to qualify on paper for the BCS; it's about who you become.
Very well put.

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthesian View Post
I understand what you mean. I have been reading the Pauline letters and I have decided what I consider to be authentically Paul.

Authentic:
1 & 2 Corinthians
Philipians
Galatians
Philemon
Romans
1 Thessalonians

Fraudulent:
Ephesians
2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
Titus
Colossians

The tone and attitudes in the fraudulent letters are very different from the authentic. I spoke with Dr. Metzger at Princeton about this. He agrees with some of my assumptions. The only authentic letter,IMO, that he disagrees with is 1 Thessalonians. He thinks it is fraudulent as well.
Please forgive my questioning the obvious, but am I the only one that notices Anthesian's smirking?

He just independently read those letters and comes to decisions that are widely discussed by scholars. He name drops, leaves the impression that he is just now noticing all of this ("have been reading,") and claims a conversation with a man who has been dead for almost two years.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Please forgive my questioning the obvious, but am I the only one that notices Anthesian's smirking?

He just independently read those letters and comes to decisions that are widely discussed by scholars. He name drops, leaves the impression that he is just now noticing all of this ("have been reading,") and claims a conversation with a man who has been dead for almost two years.
Yes I think he's full of it, if that is what you mean. He just forgot some of us might remember somebody is dead and then he mirrored his opinions with what liberal scholars opine.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes I think he's full of it, if that is what you mean. He just forgot some of us might remember somebody is dead and then he mirrored his opinions with what liberal scholars opine.
Actually, it was an honest mistake. I was thinking of Bart Ehrman of UNC Chapel Hill (and not of Princeton Divinity) who was one of Metzger's students. I don't mirror my understandings after any of them per se. I can agree with their understandings but may not completely understand them in their entirety. Who doesn't get some of their ideology from other writers? I know many people who get theirs from McConkie, Packer or Talmage. Is it wrong...absolutely not. I happen to agree with Metzger and Ehrman because of what I have been studying in my NT class. But I actually don't give a shit what any of you think so it doesn't really matter, right?

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But I actually don't give a shit what any of you think so it doesn't really matter, right?
So why are you still posting here you slovenly groveling piece of deceit?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Actually, it was an honest mistake. I was thinking of Bart Ehrman of UNC Chapel Hill (and not of Princeton Divinity) who was one of Metzger's students. I don't mirror my understandings after any of them per se. I can agree with their understandings but may not completely understand them in their entirety. Who doesn't get some of their ideology from other writers? I know many people who get theirs from McConkie, Packer or Talmage. Is it wrong...absolutely not. I happen to agree with Metzger and Ehrman because of what I have been studying in my NT class. But I actually don't give a shit what any of you think so it doesn't really matter, right?

We have commented here upon Metzger's passing, so we thought you were trying a ruse on us. Many of us like the research of Metzger and his protege, Ehrman, and others, but make no mistake, they are not the last word on liberal research.

You have admitted to lying to us in the past, so every mistake you make will look like another ruse. It appears you believe you are more informed and intelligent than us, which may be the truth, but alas we are not total morons.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't mean to sound cheeky, but I don't understand why this would lead anyone to believe that the books were not written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. They are four different people, each with a different perspective, who I assume were familiar with what had been written previously, and sought to add to that. For example, my dad, my brother, my daughter, and my BFF would each give a different account of who I am and what I did with my life.
In none of them does the author ever mention himself by name, so then we're left with believing the tradition or not. The tradition could be wrong. After all, there was plenty of fraudulent stuff written and assigned an author's name for the purpose of giving it credibility. It doesn't matter much to me who the actual authors were, nor that the accounts differ. If I were a literalist evangelical who believed in biblical infallibility then it would make a difference. It shouldn't matter to LDS however.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-13-2009 at 09:41 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
In none of them does the author ever mention himself by name, so then we're left with believing the tradition or not. The tradition could be wrong. After all, there was plenty of fraudulent stuff written and assigned an author's name for the purpose of giving it credibility. It doesn't matter much to me who the actual authors were, nor that the accounts differ. If I were a literalist evangelical who believed in biblical infallibility then it would make a difference. It shouldn't matter to LDS however.
The more interesting aspect are the ideas surrounding the Synoptics, Q and John
Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree. Essentially, I'm trying to recognize and understand the effects of a possibly fabricated story this is 2000 years old.

Is the abstract idea we call 'faith' enough? Faith lacks physical merit. I'm okay with that. Is it possible that we allow a possibly fictional story to dictate the way we live our lives?

The idea of a 'testimony' which is based solely on that warm fuzzy feeling in our chest isn't enough either. It isn't a blanket that keeps us warm but a blanket that clouds our vision of a possible truth instead of supposed known truth.

To the point...What if Jesus isn't who we have been told he was? I'm not trying to create doubt. I will leave that up to the individual. But what does this mean for Christianity? What course do we choose if this is true?

Or is Nietzche right when he stated that the only true Christian died on the cross and the rest are all hypocrites? Does this mean that Christianity died with the supposed son of God?

These are just things I have been thinking about from my NT class and my philosophy class.
My faith has no problem accomodating the notion that Jesus was only a man. I've arrived at a deeper core truth/belief/faith that accomodates skepticism, faith, transcendent religious figures, atrocities, evolution, spirituality of pre-humans, etc.

And no, I'm not an athiest.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote