cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
John McCain, Republican 6 20.00%
Barack Obama, Democrat 15 50.00%
Bob Barr, Libertarian 5 16.67%
Ralph Nader, independent 3 10.00%
Chuck Baldwin, Constitution 1 3.33%
Cynthia McKinney, Green 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #31
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am holding out to see how Tex votes.

You just never know with that guy. Truth be told, I have no clue how Tex will vote in every single election for the rest of his life. Absolutely no idea....
I don't know about you, but I am surprised to see how Il Pad is going to vote.

I have never voted for a democrat before, but the more I listen to McCain the more I want to vote for the other guy no matter who he is.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I don't know about you, but I am surprised to see how Il Pad is going to vote.

I have never voted for a democrat before, but the more I listen to McCain the more I want to vote for the other guy no matter who he is.

I've never had a reason to vote for a Democrat for POTUS.

If I thought a vote for Barr wouldn't be a vote for Obama, I'd vote for him. My vote for McCain is more a vote against Obama than anything else.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #33
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I've aligned myself with my fellow SS Gruppenfuehrer, DDD, and am voting for Obama. However, playing my usual role as peacemaker in this troubled venue, I'm voting for Barack because it will help with missionary work. I can't tell you how many teaching opportunities I lost in '71-'73 due to the Europeans' contempt for Nixon. Given that Obama is enjoying JFK-like adoration on the continent, the Church will be seen in a far more favorable light than if McCain were elected. I thus conclude that people who vote for McCain don't have a testimony.

I can see SU putting a McCain sign on his front lawn as I write this. Tex, take note.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You sound like Palin on evolution.

Here are some more polls from NC:

http://www.pollster.com/polls/nc/08-nc-pres-ge-mvo.php

Note that when Barr is included (along with Nader), Obama's numbers are even higher in NC. Also note that Obama outperformed the polls in NC in the primaries. Also note that pollster.com has it as a tie right now, RCP has it as an Obama win, Fivethirtyeight.com has it as Obama win, and electoral-vote.com has it as a tie.

Looks great to me!
This is exactly what I've been saying - a vote for a third party candidate is a vote for Obama. Even in our little poll here, the 3rd party candidates allow Obama to get the larger number of votes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I was quite surprised to find this morning that at this point in the election of 2000, Gore had a 51 to 40% lead on Bush in Gallup.

Taking comfort in such historical facts reflects the sad position Republicans are in, and my money's still on Obama. But, anything's possible I suppose.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #36
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I'm very glad this was a public poll. I was very curious to find out CaliCoug's choice in this election.
I was curious to see where folks on here stand. And by making it public I thought it would have fewer joke answers. Of course everyone believes Indy is really voting for Nader.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-09-2008 at 03:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bob Barr looks better but that's a vote for Obama. If the loss is as foregone a conclusion as it appears now, I'll vote for Barr.
Nader will get about the same number of votes as Barr in this election, so it's a wash at best. Barr also can pull some from the democrats because of civil liberty issues.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though I don't think I will vote for Obama, I can at least take solace that he is probably the best candidate in terms of my job security and future prospects.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #39
BlueK

Quote:
No way. Even if the total votes cast are approximate, Nader is likely to do better in already liberal states (Vermont, California, etc.) where votes cast for him will likely have little effect.

Barr, on the other hand, is likely to pull support from areas where Republicans will be hurt the most (Georgia, NC, Virginia, Missouri).

I love Barr right now. Fight to the bitter end, Bob! You can do it!
Barr doesn't only pull from one side. I doubt the GOP leadership likes my stands on things like the war, the patriot act, the bailout, Bush's executive power grab, and so forth. And because of the way most people think, which is that they usually avoid third parties like the plague out of fear of casting a "wasted" vote, they are not going to vote third party until they have thoroughly and permanently divorced themselves from the major two. So even though it might seem he draws votes away from one or the other, I don't believe those votes are McCain's to get no matter what. The neocon led GOP has done a really good job the last 8 years of chasing out people like me and I will probably never vote Republican again. If anything, Bob Barr and the Libertarians are what keep me from voting for Obama instead, and I think a lot of Libertarians right now feel that way about the Republicans.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #40
BlueK

Quote:
They may prevent you from voting Obama, but you were a Republican prior to this election. There won't be many Democrats who leave the party to vote for Barr. Obama may not pick up votes he otherwise might get, but he won't lose many, if any. McCain will lose many votes, however. The net effect is highly beneficial for Obama, particularly in the south.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think the effect in the south is going to be large enough to overturn anything. You might be able to make a case for NC or VA, but that's about it. It may be closer this time in Texas or Georgia, but not enough for Obama to win.