cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I made an excellent curry rice (kare raisu) Sunday

We had it again last night (in many ways it's better the second day).

I've hit upon a great method, browning the pork and then stewing it with onions, garlic, and some of the curry block for about one and a half hour before adding the carrots. This way the pork stays moist and tender.

I'm a big Vermont Curry fan and I use a combo between hot and medium hot. Before adding the potatoes, I separately bring them to a boil first, so they don't break up too much in the curry. I add them about 30 minutes before eating.

Served with koshihikari, it was very, very good. Few things beat a good kare raisu.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a much better food in the winter. Great on a winter campout.

My scouts liked it so much that they made it on their own.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is a much better food in the winter. Great on a winter campout.

My scouts liked it so much that they made it on their own.
My son had a bad curry rice experience at a local "Japanese" restaurant. I had to wipe it from his mind. It was a kind of therapy.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

what kind of curry do you use?

we were given a bunch of indian curry powder by our neighbors and it is delcious.

However, i would be interested in trying some asian curries, as well.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Recipe?

Thanking you in advance.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you can buy curry blocks at a number of places in the Asian section. The basic principle is that the curry block mixes with hot water to form the sauce.

Brown chicken pieces. Toss in some water. Add carrots first (take longest to cook). Then potato cubes/pieces and onions. Add curry cube/blocks. Done.

Dish over sticky white rice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

I've hit upon a great method, browning the pork and then stewing it with onions, garlic, and some of the curry block for about one and a half hour before adding the carrots. This way the pork stays moist and tender.

I'm a big Vermont Curry fan and I use a combo between hot and medium hot. Before adding the potatoes, I separately bring them to a boil first, so they don't break up too much in the curry. I add them about 30 minutes before eating.

Served with koshihikari, it was very, very good. Few things beat a good kare raisu.
I usually use the S&B kind, but I'm having trouble with it. I can't seem to get the right consistency, it's either too thick and paste-like, or thin but tastes watered down. Maybe I'll switch to the Vermont brand. Good idea to combine the hot and medium hot.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Only Nipponophiles eat Vermont Curry. True curry aficionados eat Thai-style curries.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

Same way I make it but without the potatoes. Hate potatoes in curry. And I usually use chicken for the meat.

Last edited by jay santos; 07-16-2008 at 04:25 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I usually use the S&B kind, but I'm having trouble with it. I can't seem to get the right consistency, it's either too thick and paste-like, or thin but tastes watered down. Maybe I'll switch to the Vermont brand. Good idea to combine the hot and medium hot.
Whenever available, I use Vermont (I get a kick out of thinking some marketing guy in Japan came up with the idea of calling his curry "Vermont" curry.). Frankly, it's at the way mild end of the scale in its hot and medium hot, so if you want really hot, you will be dissapointed.

I also like the suggestion that they use apples in their curry block/paste.