cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 05-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Frank Jackson

I think we still have a shot at him because of what he says about Rose here and because he seems so committed to going on a mission, which helps us more than the others. Also, the mission probably gives us actually two chances to get him, if you think about it. This is also what I want to believe, so there you go. Seems liike a great kid either way.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...attention.html
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't know much about him, but I was surprised he wanted to go on a mission. Mormon kids of his basketball caliber typically don't go on missions. Good for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think we still have a shot at him because of what he says about Rose here and because he seems so committed to going on a mission, which helps us more than the others. Also, the mission probably gives us actually two chances to get him, if you think about it. This is also what I want to believe, so there you go. Seems liike a great kid either way.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...attention.html
I don't know what chance BYU has but, Quincy Lewis being hired and if he serves a mission, should give BYU a better chance than for most blue chippers. I would still rate Duke and Stanford ahead of BYU.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
BlueK

Stanford's coach is on the hot seat and may not even be there by the time Jackson comes back from his mission. I believe the rumors are that they started high on his list when he first decommitted but they fell back down with the disappointing year they had. I tend to doubt he ends up there. Stanford is a good school but the basketball reasons for going there right now are not very strong.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-11-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If he sees himself as a one and done, there is no reason to go to BYU. If he sees himself staying in college for two to four years, maybe BYU has a better chance.

A lot of talk for a kid I have never seen play. I wouldn't worry about it, cause kids like this typically don't sign with BYU.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If he sees himself as a one and done, there is no reason to go to BYU. If he sees himself staying in college for two to four years, maybe BYU has a better chance.

A lot of talk for a kid I have never seen play. I wouldn't worry about it, cause kids like this typically don't sign with BYU.
According to the recent Deseret News article, the reason he decommitted was because he attended a camp for the best 25 HS guards and he saw he was better than the guys there who were being recruited by teams like N. Carolina, Notre Dame, etc. So he thought he should allow himself to listen to what those schools had to say. He's since gone to more of those, and according to the recruiting gurus, his stock is rising so fast because of how he's playing in them compared to the top HS talent in the country. He seems legit. He just went to one in Dallas and came away with offers from N. Carolina and Notre Dame. Duke hasn't officially offered yet, apparently, but we all know that's coming. BYU's shot may be small, but I think it's better than it was with Jabari. I know he's said he wants to decide in time for the early signing period coming up this November, but I really hope he just waits and goes on the mission unsigned. BYU's chances increase by quite a bit if that happens.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-12-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Frank Jackson, this, FJ that. So boring. That's why I don't pay attention to recruiting. It almost always end up in disappointment.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Frank Jackson, this, FJ that. So boring. That's why I don't pay attention to recruiting. It almost always end up in disappointment.
Other than Parker and now Jackson's decommitment I can't think of many real recruiting disappointments in basketball. Football is another story. We're definitely not getting as many higher caliber LDS players as we were getting before Bronco.

And really, once any player gets ranked in the top 20 of their class almost no team outside of the exclusive club of Kentucky, Duke, UNC and a couple of others really have a realistic shot anyway. We're still doing pretty well over the last 2-3 years with top 100 LDS guys ranked #30 on down. The thing there is that except for one year of Eric Mika, none of those guys have played yet.

I suppose you can talk about Jordan Loveridge, and it's likely very un-PC of me, but one look at his supersized tattoos on his arms makes me think he probably wasn't exactly looking for immersing himself in the BYU culture. That's not in any way to judge his character or morality. I don't really care. It's just an observation and a strong clue, IMO, that he probably doesn't consider BYU to be his ideal scene. He grew up in Utah and knows the culture and where he would likely feel most comfortable. And then his teammate Chapman wasn't LDS. Both guys we tried hard for, but in the end they probably are happier at the U, and that's ok. Ultimately Payton Dastrup changed his mind and signed with BYU for the same reason. He went with where he felt he'd be happy.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-10-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
BlueK

I hate to feel this way, but I'm getting annoyed by the whole Frank Jackson circus his parents, and I think probably mostly his dad, are creating. Twitter makes this kind of thing even more obvious. College coaching these days and having to deal with recruiting and egos is a tough gig.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=14281158

Last edited by BlueK; 07-14-2015 at 04:47 PM.