cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is the church more worried about a 35 year old housewife hearing non-simple doctrine, or the disaster that is the current curriculum that makes many members 1) not attend or 2) dread and resent attendance?

I suspect they are more worried about non-simple doctrine being taught.

What gets kicked up the line to the GAs? The problem cases. The apostasties and excommunications that have been appealed.

Who kicks up, "Elder, half of our ward does not attend Sunday School, what should we do?" Doesn't happen.

Thankfully I have found a church-proscribed way to not go to Sunday School.
Are you a hall monitor like me?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Mmm, not only mine.

Alleging that a First Presidency member is teaching doctrine out of harmony with the scriptures in the church's signature publication is a fairly bold thing to say. Not sure how you think it's not.
Tex, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Here's Joseph Smith's POV, regarding Pelatiah Brown teaching (let alone believing) false doctrine:

"I did not like the old man being called up for erring in doctrine. It looks too much like the Methodist, and not like the Latterday Saints. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be asked out of their church. I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammeled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Tex, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Here's Joseph Smith's POV, regarding Pelatiah Brown teaching (let alone believing) false doctrine:

"I did not like the old man being called up for erring in doctrine. It looks too much like the Methodist, and not like the Latterday Saints. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be asked out of their church. I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammeled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine."
So what Tex is doing is accusing you of being a Methodist?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So what Tex is doing is accusing you of being a Methodist?
I have no idea what Tex is accusing me of, but I do know that I don't think President Eyring is a bad man.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Quote:
I have no idea what Tex is accusing me of, but I do know that I don't think President Eyring is a bad man.
I don't think the issue is whether or not you think President Eyring is a bad man, just whether or not he is teaching false doctrine.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #26
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
I don't think the issue is whether or not you think President Eyring is a bad man, just whether or not he is teaching false doctrine.
What you think is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
What you think is irrelevant to the issue at hand.
LOL! The issue is whether or not you're saying that President Eyring is teaching false doctrine and the newer issue is seeing how you duck answering that question.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #28
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
LOL! The issue is whether or not you're saying that President Eyring is teaching false doctrine and the newer issue is seeing how you duck answering that question.
Hardly. The issue is how cowardly you'll be in your efforts to ape off of tex.

I already said that I believe that in the article tex cited, President Eyring teachings things that do not square with the Standard Works. I also suggested that if he thought following such teaching would serve him well, he should do so.

What more could you possibly want to know, High Inquisitor?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm familiar with the quote, and I also know you think it grants you license to say whatever you like about the church or its leaders.

A point of view that concludes Eyring's April First Presidency message contradicts scripture is a point of view that deserves re-evaluating.

PS. I do appreciate you channeling Obi-Wan:

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Your father was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
Luke Skywalker: [incredulously] A certain point of view?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm familiar with the quote, and I also know you think it grants you license to say whatever you like about the church or its leaders.

A point of view that concludes Eyring's April First Presidency message contradicts scripture is a point of view that deserves re-evaluating.
what's so bad about contradicting scripture?

are you one of those "scriptures are inerrant" folks?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote