cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Since Dems love taxes and loathe capitalism

Why don't the taxlovers pay my increases and make tax treaties with business friendly nations, like China, India and Singapore.

I could live in China until the Dems get defeated again.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why don't the taxlovers pay my increases and make tax treaties with business friendly nations, like China, India and Singapore.

I could live in China until the Dems get defeated again.
This is a good schtick. You know that rampant spending eventually leads to higher taxing don't you? I am sure as a good capitalist you must understand that. That is why I would have thought that you'd be happy that the fiscally cautious party is back in charge. I have a hard time believing that you really equate low short term taxes with the long term interests of capitalism.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Archaea

Dems of the sixties were great spenders.

Dems didn't spend less with Clinton, because Clinton didn't have a Democratic Congress but two years when he raised taxes.

Bush pisses me off for spending like a goddamn Democrat. Medicare Part C was idiotic, but the fucking democrats enticed him into that shit. I hate Bush for Medicare Part C. Part A and B are bad enough. What a load.

Republicans should stay Republicans, fiscally conservative and not wanting to please everybody.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
This is a good schtick. You know that rampant spending eventually leads to higher taxing don't you? I am sure as a good capitalist you must understand that. That is why I would have thought that you'd be happy that the fiscally cautious party is back in charge. I have a hard time believing that you really equate low short term taxes with the long term interests of capitalism.
Absolutely I do.

Low income taxes, free markets, no capital gains are the hallmarks of capitalism at its core.

I acknowledge an educated workforce, good technology, free flow of information and incentives to succeed are also important. But if an investor or capitalist can't profit and can't retain profit, why the hell do it. Furthermore, less government is best.

You can get by with less, look at Monaco, Hong Kong or Costa Rica.

Dems are NOT fiscally responsible. Not by a long shot. Actually no party is fiscally responsible. Jefferson had some great ideas about the debts of one generation not being allowed to burden the next generation.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

I agree with many of the things that you have said. Especially about not being burdened with another generation's debt. I am for low taxes, sensibly spent, free markets, and low (not no) capital gains. I am a democrat.

I also agree that the Dems are not fiscally responsible. I would however say that moderate democrats are fiscally responsible. The statistics I have seen and that I am too lazy to look up say that spending growth is slowed when they are in power. That is good enough for me. Of course, the one variable that neither of us have talked about is the people and specifically the geezers that outvote everybody else. They are the real drivers of Medicare (which is a complete boondoggle) drug benefit and the massive entitlements. I know that you are pissed about taxes and blaming the Democrats, but you should be cussing at the "greatest generation" and the boomers which will be the generations that severely drive down the standard of living for future generations of people like me. I dare say that we are either going to see the death or sever maiming of entitlement programs or massive tax increases when I am your age. Most politicians that would like to do something about it are not acting in their own self interest.

This is what I am getting at when I say that short term goals, such as the ill advised in timing and scope, tax cuts. We simply could not afford them and keep the status quo for governmental programs. I was in favor of a more modest tax cut and some fiscal discipline and some retirement of debt. Oh, well.

Lastly, it is pretty hard to compare us to Monaco, Hong KOng, Costa Rica, or Singapore. They are on such a small scale that they do not have to provide expensive things like an army, etc. Still, maybe we could learn a few things.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

And by the way in Monaco it cost me 4 bucks for my daughter to take a dump.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
And by the way in Monaco it cost me 4 bucks for my daughter to take a dump.
Your hotel room charged you that? Where did you stay?

I want to do the Ironman half there in September, but maybe I won't.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
I agree with many of the things that you have said. Especially about not being burdened with another generation's debt. I am for low taxes, sensibly spent, free markets, and low (not no) capital gains. I am a democrat.

I also agree that the Dems are not fiscally responsible. I would however say that moderate democrats are fiscally responsible. The statistics I have seen and that I am too lazy to look up say that spending growth is slowed when they are in power. That is good enough for me. Of course, the one variable that neither of us have talked about is the people and specifically the geezers that outvote everybody else. They are the real drivers of Medicare (which is a complete boondoggle) drug benefit and the massive entitlements. I know that you are pissed about taxes and blaming the Democrats, but you should be cussing at the "greatest generation" and the boomers which will be the generations that severely drive down the standard of living for future generations of people like me. I dare say that we are either going to see the death or sever maiming of entitlement programs or massive tax increases when I am your age. Most politicians that would like to do something about it are not acting in their own self interest.

This is what I am getting at when I say that short term goals, such as the ill advised in timing and scope, tax cuts. We simply could not afford them and keep the status quo for governmental programs. I was in favor of a more modest tax cut and some fiscal discipline and some retirement of debt. Oh, well.

Lastly, it is pretty hard to compare us to Monaco, Hong KOng, Costa Rica, or Singapore. They are on such a small scale that they do not have to provide expensive things like an army, etc. Still, maybe we could learn a few things.
Other than dominant news media what makes you believe the cuts were that large?

Capital investment is slowing and we need more cuts not less. We do need to cut our losses in Iraq, but that's another issue.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Your hotel room charged you that? Where did you stay?

I want to do the Ironman half there in September, but maybe I won't.
No, we spent the summer in Nice. We were just in Monaco for the afternoon a few times. They charge everywhere to go to the bathroom, but at the Grimaldi palace it cost 3 euros, which at that time was 4 bucks.

I would highly recommend going. But if you can avoid it, don't buy stuff in Monaco, it costs a freaking arm and a leg. Nice is a 20 minute train ride or drive away, and everything there costs about half.

Also, there are good less expensive hotels next to the Airport in Nice, which you will have to fly into anyway. If you want more info boardmail me.

It can't be that surprising that I love France, since I am a Democrat, eh?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Other than dominant news media what makes you believe the cuts were that large?

Capital investment is slowing and we need more cuts not less. We do need to cut our losses in Iraq, but that's another issue.
The GAO.

The short term economy could always use tax cuts, but we do have those pressing long term fiscal problems. Last I heard nearly twenty percent of taxes went to paying debt. If we were fiscally responsible then we could give ourselves a permanent tax break. I am not holding my breath.