cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For you legal people out there

I am willing to be persuaded my feeling that there are inequities in the legal system is unfounded.

Last night one of my friends let me know his relative is in some hot water. He said the relatives lawyer thought he could work with the DA until they found out which Judge they drew. They are now scrambling to form a different strategy, but the guys lawyer told him he is basically screwed and now it is a matter of how screwed. This is second hand info. of course.

However, could the justice you recieve be based on which judge you lucked out and drew.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

definitely. Plea strategy heavily dependent on the judge you happen to get.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Even here among believers (for the most part) in the LDS church we spend much of our time discussing issues arising from the church leaders' human natures. Does it really surprise you, therefore, that the legal system is not perfect? Here's a news flash: It is run by people, many of whom have different ideas about different topics. If you expect perfection, wait until the judgment bar in the sky. Relatively speaking, however, our system is about as good as you can find.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am willing to be persuaded my feeling that there are inequities in the legal system is unfounded.

Last night one of my friends let me know his relative is in some hot water. He said the relatives lawyer thought he could work with the DA until they found out which Judge they drew. They are now scrambling to form a different strategy, but the guys lawyer told him he is basically screwed and now it is a matter of how screwed. This is second hand info. of course.

However, could the justice you recieve be based on which judge you lucked out and drew.
Of course. Were you born yesterday? It makes all the difference in the world. All the difference. But do you have a better idea?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Of course. Were you born yesterday? It makes all the difference in the world. All the difference. But do you have a better idea?
That is something I would expect a conservative to say. "Sure there are inequities, but do you have a better idea."

Nope I don't. Just wanted to make sure I am right when saying everyone doesn't get equal justice.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
That is something I would expect a conservative to say. "Sure there are inequities, but do you have a better idea."

Nope I don't. Just wanted to make sure I am right when saying everyone doesn't get equal justice.
No, you're not right. Look, different results don't mean unequal justice. Moreover, as long as the draw isn't biased, then the results are still random and as long as the procedures don't violate rights and the results are lawful, then justice is satisfied. If you don't like the range of possible results, change the laws, but don't assert that the system is inequitable simply because different cases have different results all within the bounds of the system.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

That's right. For example, mostly black people in a few southeastern states get the death penalty. It's arguably even worse in the higlhy nuanced and complicated area of business litigation where some of us earn our bread. Very subjective. What judge you get is often outcome determinative.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No, you're not right. Look, different results don't mean unequal justice. Moreover, as long as the draw isn't biased, then the results are still random and as long as the procedures don't violate rights and the results are lawful, then justice is satisfied. If you don't like the range of possible results, change the laws, but don't assert that the system is inequitable simply because different cases have different results all within the bounds of the system.
No we come to a different conclusion. I said I could be persuaded. "No, you're not right" is not a persuasive position.

It maybe justice all right. I just said there are inequities. I will concede to the thought there isn't a better way to do it.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's right. For example, mostly black people in a few southeastern states get the death penalty. It's arguably even worse in the higlhy nuanced and complicated area of business litigation where some of us earn our bread. Very subjective. What judge you get is often outcome determinative.

This is a different issue you have raised. I understood him to be complaining about different results for proper charges based upon different judges' attitudes. Rascist application of the DP is obviously unacceptable and does qualify as inequitable.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
No we come to a different conclusion. I said I could be persuaded. "No, you're not right" is not a persuasive position.

It maybe justice all right. I just said there are inequities. I will concede to the thought there isn't a better way to do it.
I thought I explained, albeit perhaps not persuasively, in the rest of myh post. I take it you didn't like it?

You apprenetly assume a different result is an inequity. You also assume the only distinction between cases is a different judge. This is a faulty assumption, as each case is highly unique. When you use the term inequity do you mean in an absolute sense or in a legal sense within our system?