cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Guitars

Any guitarists or bassists here? I am, for no good reason (maybe because I am now 40?), thinking of purchasing a bass guitar, about which I know almost nothing. I have not yet informed my wife of my plans. I have minimal guitar experience (minimal because I sucked), but many years of cello experience, so I thought that may translate to the bass somewhat.

But, as I said, I know nothing. What do I need to know? Should I go with frets or fretless (I was thinking fretless because of cello background, but I really have no idea). Any decent cheap brands around? Are there different styles? Anything in particular I need to look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Any guitarists or bassists here? I am, for no good reason (maybe because I am now 40?), thinking of purchasing a bass guitar, about which I know almost nothing. I have not yet informed my wife of my plans. I have minimal guitar experience (minimal because I sucked), but many years of cello experience, so I thought that may translate to the bass somewhat.

But, as I said, I know nothing. What do I need to know? Should I go with frets or fretless (I was thinking fretless because of cello background, but I really have no idea). Any decent cheap brands around? Are there different styles? Anything in particular I need to look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
A few of us CGers play. I have a V-factor six string (not the vintage flying V, but similar) and a beat up acoustic. Back when I was in bands, the bass players always played Fenders (maybe they were trendy). The one guy was in love with his candy apple 5 string Fender.

With your cello experience you're probably fine with a fretless, but they're not recommended for beginners.

How the neck feels is important (it's width, how it fits in your hands, the string spacing), as is how high the string action is (I like very low action, but it limits some of the things I can do. Better players than me often go with higher action as it has a fuller ring on clean channels and so on). If the pickups aren't good it can make an otherwise great guitar sound terrible. You'll want to research pickups.

When you've found a bass you like spend time plugging it into different amps. I have a Fender Blues Jr. which works well for the style of songs I like to play, but it's not the best choice for crunch. Peavey amps sound too bright to me (except for the high end ones), and I've always stayed away from them. Some people love them. The bass players in my bands played through a big old Crate amp and a Fender amp, respectively. Both guys ran through the mixing board and then out to the PAs and monitors.

I know exactly zero about bass strings. Strings can make a big difference in your sound, particularly in your "bite." I use GHS boomer super lights.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-15-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

get a cheap one off of craigslist that you can sell for the same price you bought it.

you will need a practice amp or it won't be any fun.

get fretted.

playing the bass guitar alone might be more boring than a regular guitar. unless you get into playing along with songs on your mp3 or something.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 08-15-2007 at 05:53 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an older Yamaha 4-string neckthrough with a drop D tuning key. I like it, but at this poiint it is like an old friend as much as an instrumnent.

What instrument you get depends entirely on what sort of playing you intend to do. Unless you want the electric fretless sound (think Pink FLoyd's "Hey You" from The Wall) I ow uld think a fretted instrument will be most useful. I don't play fretless, but the spacing on a bass will be different from a cello, and the frets should make it faster to pick up.

The best bass I played was a vintage fender jazz bass (I think it was the "jazz man") that I loved but could not afford at the time and so I had to give it back to the guy who loaned it to me. Oh well.

ALthough 5 and 6 stringa are all the rage, I have never felt limited by only having 4 strings and for most basic rock or blues 4 strings is more than enough. if you plan to be fancy or do leads then 5 or 6 might be the way to go.

Waters' advice is good. I would get a used beater and try it out to see if you like it. IF so, then go down to Guitar Center or local equivalent and, after trying to block out the screamingly bad version of stairway to heaven being played by some 14 year old in the next aisle, sit down and try out a bunch of the basses and see what you like.

I love playing the bass, but it is definitely more fun if you are in a group or an ensemble.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you guys favor the fretted instruments?

I played with both and appreciated the fretless guitars.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why do you guys favor the fretted instruments?

I played with both and appreciated the fretless guitars.
Hmmm. What fretless guitars did you play?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Archaea

I no longer play, and I played a Les Paul when I did play, but I admired Frank Zappa when he played fretless. I doubt I could play a note now, although thirty years ago I played a little bit, not much but enough for holidays and stuff.

Michael Vick seems do okay on a fretless, don't you think?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
I no longer play, and I played a Les Paul when I did play, but I admired Frank Zappa when he played fretless. I doubt I could play a note now, although thirty years ago I played a little bit, not much but enough for holidays and stuff.

Michael Vick seems do okay on a fretless, don't you think?
A Les Paul fretless? I've not seen such a beast (although ti oculd certainly be out there).

Fretless is hard unless you have recevied training in the spacing required to hit the right notes. It is that simple. It is also hard ot get the same sort of sounds you hear on records if you are playing fretless bass becasue almost everyone uses fretted basses.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
A Les Paul fretless? I've not seen such a beast (although ti oculd certainly be out there).

Fretless is hard unless you have recevied training in the spacing required to hit the right notes. It is that simple. It is also hard ot get the same sort of sounds you hear on records if you are playing fretless bass becasue almost everyone uses fretted basses.
I didn't say I played a Les Paul fretless. It was some sort of Fender that I borrowed when I wanted to look cool like Zappa.

The spacing is the issue, but if one practiced on a fretted guitar one could guess the spacing after a while.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
I didn't say I played a Les Paul fretless. It was some sort of Fender that I borrowed when I wanted to look cool like Zappa.

The spacing is the issue, but if one practiced on a fretted guitar one could guess the spacing after a while.
You said you played fretless guitars (not specifying bass) and I asked which ones, and you responded by saying you played a les paul and that you admired Zappa's fretless playing. So you can see why I misunderstood your response?

Practicing on a fretted helps get the spacing, but it is a long way from doing it competently. There is also the sound produced issue I referred to before.