cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

View Poll Results: How do you view Bob?
He is not sinning and his interpretation of D&C 89:17 is fine 8 23.53%
He is not sinning, but he shouldn't drink beer socially 1 2.94%
He is sinning, but not a serious enough sin to keep him from holding a temple recommend 3 8.82%
He is sinning, but if he stops his TR status is okay without any confession to his bishop 13 38.24%
He is sinning, must confess to his bishop, but the bishop shouldn't pull his TR if he stops 9 26.47%
He is sinning, must confess to his bishop, and the bishop should pull his TR for some time 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road
Default Word of Wisdom poll

So Bob, a temple recommend holder, interprets D&C 89:17 -- "... and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."-- to mean drinking beer is okay, so he drinks Coronas at Christmas parties every year.

Poll: How do you view Bob? (I've seen threads about this discussed already, but I like to see opinions in the poll results graph)

I apologize in advance for missing some possible choices.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why someone would possibly pick the second option -- it's either a sin or it isn't right?
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmf View Post
So Bob, a temple recommend holder, interprets D&C 89:17 -- "... and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."-- to mean drinking beer is okay, so he drinks Coronas at Christmas parties every year.

Poll: How do you view Bob? (I've seen threads about this discussed already, but I like to see opinions in the poll results graph)

I apologize in advance for missing some possible choices.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why someone would possibly pick the second option -- it's either a sin or it isn't right?
I wish there was a place for, it is none of my business and between he and his Bishop. I am not saying that is the right answer, just the one I would give.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

It's a sin, no one could dispute that.

If he hasn't repented for the last indiscretion and plans in his heart to do it again, I don't know how he could honestly answer the TR question on WoW. So at that point, either he says no or he confesses on the spot and expresses desire to repent in order to pass TR questions.

If he repents prior to TR interview, then he can honestly answer yes to that question without any extra discussion.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Trust me, a Corona every now and then will have zilch impact on your status in the afterlife. I promise. Enjoy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
ilmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's a sin, no one could dispute that.
Someone could absolutely dispute it based on D&C 89:17 -- beer is a mild drink.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
ilmf

I got this link from another Cougarguard thread:

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...&CISOSHOW=6510

Highly recommended reading, in particular the "The Word of Wisdom - From Principle to Requirement" pages, only 11 pages long. Simply amazing what the Word of Wisdom has morphed into today, in my opinion. Sometimes I wonder if Joseph Smith sees what we've done with some of the points in the church he started and just shakes his head.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

How many different accounts do you use here? I dont get what the point of it is. Is it for humor?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
ilmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
How many different accounts do you use here? I dont get what the point of it is. Is it for humor?
What's the point of any post on here? Do you really care if it's for humor?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
What's the point of any post on here? Do you really care if it's for humor?
My question is not the purpose of posts...but the purpose of duplicate accounts to post.

Since I am kind of a tech neophyte, does it help with search engines if you have more registered members?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Someone could absolutely dispute it based on D&C 89:17 -- beer is a mild drink.
Yes, I understand. But obviously the implementation of the WoW today is a little different than section 89. If one questioned if it were a sin or not, it would be real easy to clarify. Ask your bishop or stake president. If there is a single stake president out of the 3,000 in the church that would tell you beer drinking is allowed in the LDS church I would be shocked.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote