cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

There are a few members of my ward who pay anually, several who pay quarterly, and others who pay weekly like myself. I would love to roll my tithing into an account or fund to grow it but I do not know if I am disciplined enough to do so.

I also know of a member who runs his own business and pays his tithing anually as well...at the beginning of the year after tithing settlement. The tithing represents how much he will pay himself and he makes adjustments at settlement if he needs to, but rarely does.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 AM   #22
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Now that I have your attention, would it be bad to invest all of your tithing money from every paycheck into an ING account or other safe savings account bearing 5% interest or so? You could make quite a bit of money on the interest over the course of a year, withdraw all of the money in December to pay tithing, and then pay tithing on the interest that had accrued.

I suppose the only question would be, does the church need the money immediately or would the money be of more value to the church immediately than it would be to me? I assume the church has hundreds of millions in cash reserves, if not more, and doesn't need my meager contribution right away. Then again, if everyone did it, it could put the church in a crunch.

We only need to account for tithing once a year. Does that mean we only need to pay once a year?

Thoughts?
I need to weigh in on this one. As the financial clerk of my ward there are several people who pay yearly and personally I find it interesting when we do the tithing to take a huge deposit to the bank. We had one gentleman who was CEO of a company and when he retired they gave him the golden parachute. That was one one of those sundays where the tithing slips reached 6 figures. Personally it would be a lot easier if people only paid once a year. I spend an hour each sunday doing tithing and offerings. Some people pay every week. Some people pay with two different checks (that drives me nuts). Just write one check for two weeks its not that big of a deal. <rant over> One thing I do know for sure. is that Fast offerings are needed as soon as possible and the bishop can use whatever he get during the year. so if you pay at the end of the year the bishop really doesnt get to use that money for your ward as its all cleared out and they start anew for next year.

I am hoping for the day when we can just log in and pay our tithing on line. Automatic deduction would be just fine by me.

As far as the whole savings account idea would it really be worth it? Lets say you paid tithing of $500 a month (this fictional person is not a high roller like John Haddow) that would yield an interest at 5% of a whopping $139 after the tithing you would have made an extra $125. If you held out for two years it get you $593 or interest or an extra $534

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 05-16-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #23
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

You know, you could save even more money by not paying tithing at all.

Just to keep our eye on the ball, remember that the law of tithing, like any other commandment, is an appendage to the greater commandment to love God with all our heart. The Lord asks for 10 percent. The way you pay it, whether you like it or not, is a reflection of your relationship with Him.

That is all that I need to know about when, where, and how to pay tithing.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I recommend penny stocks

after all would the lord let you lose the tithing money on a flier? With power like that behind you what have you got to lose?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
I need to weigh in on this one. As the financial clerk of my ward there are several people who pay yearly and personally I find it interesting when we do the tithing to take a huge deposit to the bank. We had one gentleman who was CEO of a company and when he retired they gave him the golden parachute. That was one one of those sundays where the tithing slips reached 6 figures. Personally it would be a lot easier if people only paid once a year. I spend an hour each sunday doing tithing and offerings. Some people pay every week. Some people pay with two different checks (that drives me nuts). Just write one check for two weeks its not that big of a deal. <rant over> One thing I do know for sure. is that Fast offerings are needed as soon as possible and the bishop can use whatever he get during the year. so if you pay at the end of the year the bishop really doesnt get to use that money for your ward as its all cleared out and they start anew for next year.

I am hoping for the day when we can just log in and pay our tithing on line. Automatic deduction would be just fine by me.

As far as the whole savings account idea would it really be worth it? Lets say you paid tithing of $500 a month (this fictional person is not a high roller like John Haddow) that would yield an interest at 5% of a whopping $139 after the tithing you would have made an extra $125. If you held out for two years it get you $593 or interest or an extra $534

I could certainly be calculating this wrong, but I think you are forgetting about compounding interest. If I have figured it right, on $550 deposit in our hypothetical, the interest after a year would be about $800.

Not bad for no work. As I said earlier, I believe we must pay at least annually, so my only dilemma is if the church needs that money more than I do for immediate purposes. Otherwise, I am comfortable with this idea.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad
after all would the lord let you lose the tithing money on a flier? With power like that behind you what have you got to lose?

LOL! I was thinking more along the lines of junk bonds. I hear Sudan has bonds going for dirt cheap right now!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I could certainly be calculating this wrong, but I think you are forgetting about compounding interest. If I have figured it right, on $550 deposit in our hypothetical, the interest after a year would be about $800.

Not bad for no work. As I said earlier, I believe we must pay at least annually, so my only dilemma is if the church needs that money more than I do for immediate purposes. Otherwise, I am comfortable with this idea.

Oops- that is for 2 years of interest!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #28
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask Big Ute about how he pays his tithing he has some very good ideas on how to invest the money and keep it in stocks then donate the stocks to the church.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We have always paid tithing annually while paying fast offerings monthly. This is my wife's plan and she makes all of these deciisons at my house which is a very good thing for me.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

For the record, we pay our tithing at the end of the year, during tithing settlement and we do fast offerings monthly. I have never had a bishop say one word about it, one way or the other.