cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ichiro HOF'r?

With his HR today Ichiro became only the eighth player in the history of the game to have seven seasons of 200+ hits. And is his case the season are consecutive - matching Boggs' AL record.

With only seven seasons in the Bigs, is he already a HOF'r?

------------
"NEW YORK -- Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki homered off Yankees starter Roger Clemens on Monday to reach 200 hits for the seventh consecutive season, tying the AL record.

Suzuki singled in the first and homered on a 2-0 pitch to right-center in the third to give the Mariners a 2-1 lead. It was Suzuki's sixth homer of the year and extended his own major league record for consecutive 200-hit seasons to begin a career to seven.

The major league record for consecutive 200-hit seasons is eight by Willie Keeler (1894-01). Suzuki matched the AL mark held by Wade Boggs (1983-89).

Suzuki entered the day leading the majors in hits."
-----------

Look at the list of other players...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3002892
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

hard time leaving him off the list.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

No, the magic number for career hits is 3000.

I think he's well on his way to getting into the Hall, but he's got to pass one of those career milestones in order to get in.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, the magic number for career hits is 3000.

I think he's well on his way to getting into the Hall, but he's got to pass one of those career milestones in order to get in.
This is why I think it's an interesting argument/discussion. I don't see how he’ll get to 3000 hits. He is already 32, but has only been in MLB for seven years. His stats from Japan will not count. I don't see how he’ll get 200+ hits in his late 30s - because many of his hits are a result of his speed out of the box. He may only end up with 2600-2700.

But...he already has one MVP, two batting titles, six gold gloves, has led the AL in hits four different seasons and in steals once - all of this in only seven years, but, like I said, I think his production will start dropping in another 3-4 years.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
This is why I think it's an interesting argument/discussion. I don't see how he’ll get to 3000 hits. He is already 32, but has only been in MLB for seven years. His stats from Japan will not count. I don't see how he’ll get 200+ hits in his late 30s - because many of his hits are a result of his speed out of the box. He may only end up with 2600-2700.

But...he already has one MVP, two batting titles, six gold gloves, has led the AL in hits four different seasons and in steals once - all of this in only seven years, but, like I said, I think his production will start dropping in another 3-4 years.
also his current lifetime avg is .333
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post

I think he deserves to be in the HoF because he is so consistent in getting those great numbers. The problem is that writers are who vote for the inductees and they seem to love to stick to the unwritten guidelines about milestones. This is what is keeping Dale Murphy out. The guy should be there, but he doesn't have the offensive numbers needed to convince the voters - and they like Dale.

I believe he can get to 3000 hits if he plays until he's 40. He's too good to drop of that much.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ichiro is a first ballot Hall of Famer. It no longer takes 3000 hits to get in. Also if he started playing in the majors at 21-22 like most rookies, pete rose may have been in trouble.

He is one of the best defensive outfielders in the game, he can run, hit, steal bases, and he can hit for power, he said once that he can hit 30 homers a year but his average would drop a little so its not worth it. I really believe him, the guy is a freak of nature. Nobody has ever gotten out of hte box as quick as he does.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that he's first ballot barring some freak drop-off. As to his power, when I was working at the ballpark a few summers ago I saw him in BP for about 40 games and he would take some time to hit his normal stroke and then he would crank 'em out for the fans. He could nail some big 2nd-deck shots one after the other and everyone loved it.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I would love to see him be a first ballot HoFer. He should be there.

I'm just thinking what kind of dickheads that baseball writers are. They have all the say as to who gets in and if they don't think he's worthy without the right numbers, they won't do it.