cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I remember back in 1997, the Lakers had, I believe, 5 players on the All Star team. Jazz were their usual rag-tag bunch of solid players - Horny, Stockton, Malone, Bryan (or is it Byron ) Russell, Tag, etc... After game 1 or 2 of their second round playoff, Kobe made a statement along the lines of "You just wait until some of these Laker All-Stars get hot. Then we'll see...". Jazz take it walking away in 5 on their way to the finals. I couldn't help but laugh. He was a young kid spouting off at the time. I thought he would grow out of it, but I guess I'm still waiting.

BTW, I think he's an amazing player who had the potential to be one of the greatest ever. but thats probably to be saved for different thread.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:55 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I booed Jordan in the Forum. I don't think I ever made it to any Jazz games there though.

I could see how there could have been a rivalry for a bit during the Jazz run in the 90's. But I never considered the Jazz a rival. Even when Kobe was hurling airballs.

You got upset during an all-star game? I remember that play and the controversy it caused then. But c'mon it's an all-star game. Those are the games where you go one on one and throw oops to yourself off the backboard.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #13
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Because Magic Johnson showed what a lousy organization it was, when management didn't support the Coach and fired Westhphall instead.

That organization sucks. There are two axis of evil, the New York Yankees and the LA Lakers.
I agree, firing Westhead is the worst thing the Lakers ever did. Sure, they wouldn't have won all those championships, but they would have been able to say they did they right thing by standing by their coach.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I booed Jordan in the Forum. I don't think I ever made it to any Jazz games there though.

I could see how there could have been a rivalry for a bit during the Jazz run in the 90's. But I never considered the Jazz a rival. Even when Kobe was hurling airballs.

You got upset during an all-star game? I remember that play and the controversy it caused then. But c'mon it's an all-star game. Those are the games where you go one on one and throw oops to yourself off the backboard.
No I didn't get upset during an All-Star game, I just lost respect for him, as he demonstrated that he was a selfish player. I realize that the All-Star game is only an exhibition, but that stands out in my mind when I first realized that Kobe cared about Kobe first.

Speaking of Kobe and his incredible talent, I have a theory that he really isn't Jellybean's kid - Kobe's dad played with Dr. J in Philly and it came out recently taht the Doctor wasn't as devoted a husband he had led everyone to believe.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote