cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Detmer now a high school football coach

Did we ever really doubt?

The progress may be in the works for the next great Cougar coach and maybe not. But imagine a coach with Texas high school ties. Hmmm.

Quote:
DETMER HIRED AS COACH: Speaking of coaching hires, former BYU star quarterback, and 1990 Heisman Trophy winner, Ty Detmer, has been named the head football coach at St. Andrew's Episcopal School, a high school program in Austin, Texas.
Detmer, who played for 14 years in the NFL, takes over a program that posted an 0-10 record in 2009.
Detmer's father, Sonny, has coached high school football since the 1970s and is now at Somerset High near San Antonio.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...g-changes.html
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Quote:
Is this the year Mendenhall loses some of his assistants?

"Every year I anticipate it," he said. "There's now only four teams (in the nation) that have won more games (than BYU) the past three or four years. It's just a matter of time. I'll help any of (the assistant coaches) any way I can. I hope we can stay intact as long as possible. But the reality is, it won't happen. This year, I'm not sure we can dodge another bullet. We'll see."
Nobody wants your lousy coaches. No worries Bronco, you will be able to keep this staff together FOR A LONG TIME!!!

[unlike Kyle Whittingham, whose assistants apparently have value on the open market]
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Detmer taking a small high school job tells me he wants to live his father's lifestyle.

If he was aiming to be a college HC or a pro HC, he would have taken a college or pro job as QB coach.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Detmer taking a small high school job tells me he wants to live his father's lifestyle.

If he was aiming to be a college HC or a pro HC, he would have taken a college or pro job as QB coach.
Don't ruin my dream, dude.

He is simply laying the groundwork, seeding the fields before he comes back home to lead us onto glory and joining the Big 12.

We will join the Big 12, recruit Texas ferociously with Detmer at the helm. Thereafter, we become a top 5 power, winning consecutive national championships in 2014 and 2015. Just believe!

Steve Young will become the AD. And Danny Ainge will retire and become chief of basketball operations so we can visit the Final Four on a yearly basis.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Don't ruin my dream, dude.

He is simply laying the groundwork, seeding the fields before he comes back home to lead us onto glory and joining the Big 12.

We will join the Big 12, recruit Texas ferociously with Detmer at the helm. Thereafter, we become a top 5 power, winning consecutive national championships in 2014 and 2015. Just believe!

Steve Young will become the AD. And Danny Ainge will retire and become chief of basketball operations so we can visit the Final Four on a yearly basis.
Well, I very much would like BYU to be in the Big 12. And I would prefer Big 12 over Pac 10, mainly for selfish reasons.

But I don't think it will happen.

If Detmer wanted to be a BYU coach, or even head coach, it could theoretically happen. But being a high school coach is not really the way to go. He probably just wants to raise his kids in a sane, stable environment. Deal with athletes that are willing to learn and don't have ego issues.