cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An Interesting Testimony today

We had a Tongan/Swedish sister who gave a fun and worthwhile testimony. [she made the effort to distinguish between her Tongan side, which is evident from her dress and person and her Swedish side which would not be evident unless one is so informed]. She was grateful for her ancestry, including a grandfather who was the "first" to come from Tonga to the US and one early ancestor who walked and talked with many early leaders.

She was proud of her heritage, proud of her eight children and spoke in common Mormon parlance, but despite our dissections here I didn't mind, because she was speaking to the crowd. She has worked hard to rear her children, and the ward is aware of her work. The community feel was evident.

If testimony is given in the proper spirit it can uplift, even if it is about gratitude and faith, not theological principles and "knowledge." The others given were the usual fare, but hers stuck in my mind.

I imagine most wards have the two or three usuals, with an occasional surprise thrown in. Sometimes the usuals come through and strike a chord, sometimes they just fill time.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an elderly brother who always bears his testimony about this country, freedom, patriotism. He is a veteran of foreign wars.

I couldn't help but think that it is ironic that in the name of fighting terrorism, we are giving up the liberties that many patriots died for.

It makes me sick, actually.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

The first person to stand up today (after the conducting counselor) was a little girl, maybe about 6 or 7. She went to the pulpit by herself and the first thing she said was, "I know this church is true."

My thoughts: "Someone needs to talk to that girl afterward and tell her that it's not possible for her to really 'know' the church is true, and that she really should say 'believe' instead. And someone needs to talk to her parents and let them know that its inappropriate for their kids to be getting up and bearing their testimony, especially unbaptized ones."

The next person to get up a was a lady who also bore passionate testimony of how true the church was.

I thought: "How can she say that? It doesn't save you and it doesn't exalt you. Anyone listening to that probably thinks we're a bunch of brainwashed whack jobs."

Then an older brother got up and talked about visiting some old American history cites as a teenager, and how thankful he was for the early sacrifices of American (not just LDS) pioneers.

I thought: "What does this have to do with the church? Is this a thank-you-mony? Why don't you tell us WHAT you believe, and WHY you believe it?"

Think I have spent too much time on Cougarguard?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-02-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And someone needs to talk to her parents and let them know that its inappropriate for their kids to be getting up and bearing their testimony, especially unbaptized ones."
The First Presidency really did ask that no primary aged children take time in fast and testimony meeting.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
The First Presidency really did ask that no primary aged children take time in fast and testimony meeting.
I remember the letter and for the most part our members observe it, except those from Phoenix and from certain parts of Utah.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm aware of that.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Think I have spent too much time on Cougarguard?
I had that same feeling today. A kid stood up and said that the BOM was the most true book and the Bible was a close second. I kinda chuckled under my breath and thought too much Cougarguard time.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road
Default testimonies

We had a recently returned missionary state (here comes the verbatim quote) that "every word from President Hinckley's mouth is scripture." He just got back; so he's still in the uber-elder mode. He'll calm down a bit in a few weeks.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

We had an elderly (75+) sister get up at the beginning of the meeting.

She spoke for a few seconds on the Founders and mentioned some the writers who influenced them, specifically Bunyan. She touched on his general influence on them - being from pilgrim stock, its heavy circulation in the early colonies, and them being 'pilgrims in their own land'.

She then recites by memory:

I’m a pilgrim, I’m a stranger
Cast upon the rocky shore
Of a land where deathly danger
Surges with a sullen roar,
Oft despairing, oft despairing,
Lest I reach my home no more...

O my Father, I entreat thee,
Let me see thy beck’ning hand;
And when straying, may I meet thee
Ere I join the silent band.
Guide me, Father, guide me, Father,
Safely to the promised land.

(#121)

Closed with a short testimony.

Different. Not a testimony per se, but I liked it. It made me think. Was she asking that I reflect on how I can avoid the VF and the Slough of Despair, or the Country, both maybe?

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 07-02-2007 at 06:41 AM.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Tex. Discussions on this board have jaded me. I used to watch these little kids get up and say they know the church is true and I thought "how cute." I will bet those parents are proud.

As two little kids got up yesterday, I thought, how do they know? Well, they know because their parents told them so. However, with little kids they know there is a New York because their parent told them so.

Personally I don't mind those little kids getting up and saying they know. It is better than having full grown adults getting up and saying they know, they should know better.

I did appreciate one Sister who got up and stated she believed and had strong faith the gospel was true. Her brother is a 70. Maybe she also reads Cougarguard.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote