cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #131
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Rasmussen is reporting that voters think Obama has more experience than Palin by a margin of 49-39%. Among unaffiliated voters, the margin is 42-37%. The poll was taken before her speech last night.

Pretty remarkable that Obama, who has been running for President for a couple of years, been in dozens of debates, and been "overexposed" in the media, is only 10 points up (in this category) on a no-name governor that America just met a week ago. And she's only the veep nominee!

Wait until people get to know her better ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-04-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #132
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Rasmussen is reporting that voters think Obama has more experience than Palin by a margin of 49-39%. Among unaffiliated voters, the margin is 42-37%. The poll was taken before her speech last night.

Pretty remarkable that Obama, who has been running for President for a couple of years, been in dozens of debates, and been "overexposed" in the media, is only 10 points up (in this category) on a no-name governor that America just met a week ago. And she's only the veep nominee!

Wait until people get to know her better ...
I certainly look forward to people getting to know her better.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #133
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The Sun in the UK is reporting that her TV numbers hit 30 million yesterday, a record for the VP speech.

If memory serves, Obama got 38 million for his speech. I wouldn't expect Palin (or McCain) to hit that number, but to even approach it as the vice presidential candidate is pretty remarkable.

Folks are interested.
Strike that, the number according to Drudge is 37 million. Wow!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #134
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Change the number of posts per page and you can eliminate the issue. I only have 7 pages total, for example, becasue i increased the number of posts per page.
I did what you said and now there is a page 9 link that redirects me to page 8. Odd.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #135
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I did what you said and now there is a page 9 link that redirects me to page 8. Odd.
I think it has something to do with the fact that Waters deleted KneeJerk's posts in this thread.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #136
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I think it has something to do with the fact that Waters deleted KneeJerk's posts in this thread.
Or made them invisible.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #137
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why is it curious to ask what she did as mayor? How many times did the Republicans trot out her time spent as mayor as experience that qualifies her for the presidency? If Republicans are going to play that card, then don't be surprised if people ask exactly what the experience entailed. She compared it to community organizer as a political cheap shot. I don't get the feeling that she intended the comparison to actually be a real comparison of duties. If it was, it was without substance.
SO you heard her compare it to a community organizer but because of the poke at the end you chose to ignore it as a cheap shot. OK. As you must agree, she was a mayor, and she fulfilled the duties. If you are so worked up about it, you can find the duties on line. Do you really contend that you have no idea what she did or that you even care? If this is the lynch pin for your assessment of her, I encourage you to look it up. The problem is that your comments here are also nothing more than political cheap shots, and you know it. Does her time as mayor prepare her to be vp/president? Perhaps, and certainly as much or more as being community organizer does, which I think is her point, and the point you keep ignoring. At least a mayor is elected (more than once in her case) and not just some sort of self-appointed title that one assumes.

Quote:
I did notice her base hasn't objected to any failings about her candidacy. You don't seem to mind, because you note that she is just going to be the VP who, in your words, "does pretty much nothing." What if she becomes president? Seriously? What do you know about her positions? I find it remarkable I have asked this question multiple times in multiple threads with nobody even attempting an answer. Do you want to take a shot at it? Feel free.
As you know, because I can tell you have good reading skills, my comment about the lack of a VP job description was in response to the great alarm you expressed that she was unable to define the VP's duties. That is not consequential, which is a point you apparently conceded here.

Do I know as much about her as I do about the other three? No. But it might help if the media (and I blame the media and not the dems, really) would spend some time analyzing her record as governor or even as mayor of tidy little Wasilla rahter than bleat on incessantly about her pregnant daughter. Her lack of experience concerns me, at least in areas of foreign policy. But so does Obamas and his lack of experience will be felt immediately and will not require his running mate's death to start affecting my life. SO it is a bit of a more immediate concern.

Quote:
We have about 9 weeks to go until election day. McCain has now spent 1 of those weeks sheltering Palin from all media interviews, and we know as little today about her policy positions as we did when she was announced. We know more about her family life, but I just don't care about that.
I care about her family life, at some level. Character does matter to me. Likje you, I also lament the lack of knowledge about her positions, but am certain that part of the reason is because she simply doesn't have positions on all national issues because she didn't expect to need to have them at this point. IOW, you can assume that on those topics her positions will pretty much be McCain's positions. It would not surprise me if you would find yourself disagreeing with those, btw.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #138
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Is page 14 of this thread "hidden" for anyone else besides me? When I click on "14" I get sent back to page 13.
I have my settings on 40 posts per page. Presently there are 5 pages but clicking on the "5" takes me to "4".
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #139
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I honestly thought people cared about issues and policies today. To hear someone like you, who I consider to be intelligent, indicate that you are good enough with Palin's character that you are willing to overlook the void of information available about her positions (not because those positions aren't easily obtainable, but because YOU think she hasn't even formed them yet) and vote for her as part of the McCain ticket is shameful.
Pack yer' bags creek. Cali's taking you on a guilt trip.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #140
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Pack yer' bags creek. Cali's taking you on a guilt trip.
Sign me up. I've already learned today that I have no conscience and now I don't care.

The only true caring, conscientious Americans are the Disciples of the Obamessiah.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young