cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default commuting messenger bags

i'm looking to redeem my REI rebate to buy a messenger bag because i'll be riding my bike to and from work.. it seems that the popular bags are a 1 strap side bag... wouldn't that throw me off of balance? i'm only planning on packing slacks, dress shirt, socks, shoes, and a normal size leather binder thing... maybe a lunch on occassion.

what do you guys recommend? what about just using a double strap back pack? i'm riding my road bike so i'm not sure if i can put panniers on there?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Buy a recumbent and just put your stuff in the trunk.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i'm looking to redeem my REI rebate to buy a messenger bag because i'll be riding my bike to and from work.. it seems that the popular bags are a 1 strap side bag... wouldn't that throw me off of balance? i'm only planning on packing slacks, dress shirt, socks, shoes, and a normal size leather binder thing... maybe a lunch on occassion.

what do you guys recommend? what about just using a double strap back pack? i'm riding my road bike so i'm not sure if i can put panniers on there?

I prefer a back pack to a messenger bag. You can always put a rack on any bike, but for ti to be workable you really need braze-ons for the mounting bolts. Does your frame have any? I cna't recall the sort of bike you ahve, but my guess is you will not have any braze ons. Plus, you don't want a rack/panniers unless you are going to use them more than just once in a while, IMO.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Here you go:
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
no more buying bikes for now.. maybe in the future.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I prefer a back pack to a messenger bag. You can always put a rack on any bike, but for ti to be workable you really need braze-ons for the mounting bolts. Does your frame have any? I cna't recall the sort of bike you ahve, but my guess is you will not have any braze ons. Plus, you don't want a rack/panniers unless you are going to use them more than just once in a while, IMO.
i'm not sure if my frame has any or not... i bought the kestrel.. carbon fiber frame.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i'm not sure if my frame has any or not... i bought the kestrel.. carbon fiber frame.

I am quite confident that the Kestrel has no braze ons except for a water bottle. In fact, the thought of a Kestrel with a rack and panniers is sort of amusing. It would be like a porsche with a roof top luggage carrier. Nto impossible, but odd nonetheless.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am quite confident that the Kestrel has no braze ons except for a water bottle. In fact, the thought of a Kestrel with a rack and panniers is sort of amusing. It would be like a porsche with a roof top luggage carrier. Nto impossible, but odd nonetheless.
i'm thinking i'll just use a back pack for now... no need to spend $100 on a new bag.. maybe i'll spend it on a new seat post.. i've got a round seat post right now with a wedge in the back, but i'd like to get a seat post that fits my rear tube without the wedge and avoiding a repeat of the disaster at ULCER..

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

For me, I do the pre-emptive strike. I take in my clothes to work the day before (actually have a full set of clothes and a few shirts on stand-by) I ride my bike in...so I have only the minimum to worry about carrying in a backpack or other.

Works great for me as we have showers where I work, lockers etc.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote