cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #51
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
use firefox as your browser and use the adblock plugin. No more ads.

There are no extras here on CG for donating. That was the decision of the users. And I generally try to put the group's interest over my own.
And that's honest, IMO. In your case it's a real donation and not a subscription being called a "donation" so you can use the guilt factor to get more "donations."
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
And that's honest, IMO. In your case it's a real donation and not a subscription being called a "donation" so you can use the guilt factor to get more "donations."
I know I am losing money by not running ads on this site (like google sense). How much money, I'm not sure. My friend tells me it is "a lot".

But as long as donations pay for the cost, we are ok.

However, if the site were to grow substantially, that could all change. Server costs could skyrocket.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #53
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He has a good thing going over there. He calls what should be a called a subscription a "donation" and lets the mindless minions shame everyone into paying it. And yet everyone still has to see the stupid ads. Granted, they're not as annoying as they used to be, I guess. Most other sites offer special features to those who pay (like ESPN insider, etc.) But I suspect el Jefe has discovered that using guilt is far more effective.
to be fair to Jefe, whenever he see's a post where someone tries to shame someone into donating, he deletes the post and gives them a warning. I've seen several dozen times it has happened

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
to be fair to Jefe, whenever he see's a post where someone tries to shame someone into donating, he deletes the post and gives them a warning. I've seen several dozen times it has happened
what's up with all the anonymous "benefactor" donations?

I don't like when someone appears to have donated, but really didn't. Someone did it for him.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #55
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jefe rakes in the money. It's all about the money at the end of the day.

he has done the calculus that having me around causes him to lose money.

he may find the opposite is true.
Do you think that site does okay financially? I don't have time to go search for them, but I seem to remember a few posts from "El Jefe" claiming he barely stays above water.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Do you think that site does okay financially? I don't have time to go search for them, but I seem to remember a few posts from "El Jefe" claiming he barely stays above water.
if he said that, it's not true.

he's many thousands of dollars in the black.

Count the number of donors. That is at minimum $10 per. More accurate might be something like $13 per (some donate more than once or donate more than minimum).

and that's not even including ad revenue.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #57
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know I am losing money by not running ads on this site (like google sense). How much money, I'm not sure. My friend tells me it is "a lot".

But as long as donations pay for the cost, we are ok.

However, if the site were to grow substantially, that could all change. Server costs could skyrocket.
I don't have a problem with ads per se. It's the whole "I'm a nonprofit so give me donations" combined with the ads that makes me wonder. Like I said, I think it would appear to be more honest to me if he just took the approach of most other sites and called it something other than a donation. I have no problem with commercializing it, but don't pretend to be nonprofit if you aren't.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I don't have a problem with ads per se. It's the whole "I'm a nonprofit so give me donations" combined with the ads that makes me wonder. Like I said, I think it would appear to be more honest to me if he just took the approach of most other sites and called it something other than a donation. I have no problem with commercializing it, but don't pretend to be nonprofit if you aren't.
I think we are pretty safe in assuming in assuming cb is not a 501c.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #59
El Jefe

El Jefe

Quote:
He has a good thing going over there. He calls what should be a called a subscription a "donation" and lets the mindless minions shame everyone into paying it. And yet everyone still has to see the stupid ads. Granted, they're not as annoying as they used to be, I guess. Most other sites offer special features to those who pay (like ESPN insider, etc.) But I suspect el Jefe has discovered that using guilt is far more effective.
I'm sorry about that. I do everything I can to keep that off of Cougarboard. You may not believe me, but I hate it when people rip on non-donors. It was always my intention that donations would be optional, and while there would be a few perks, use of the board would not require a donation.

I know most of you are opposed to the "Report Abuse" link, but I would appreciate it if you would use it if you ever see one of those posts. I've penalized many people for ripping on non-donors in the past, and will continue to do so when I know about it.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #60
El Jefe

El Jefe

Quote:
I asked a question about why we pretend Pakistan is our ally. and then tagged to that I put "Snipe? Tex?"

Which was soliciting an answer from them.

This caused me to be suspended for 3 days. I guess this is under the rule "we do whatever the hell we want."

They really are out of control, and I'm seriously considering going the BYU71 route.
We have a new moderator who is learning the ropes. I might have deleted that post (probably not), but I wouldn't have penalized for that. You didn't really appeal it though, so I never bothered to look into it. I actually was under the impression that you were penalized for something else, but I could be wrong.

Your appeal was interesting, though.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote