cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default A bridge too far?

Last week's "Would God do that?" thread, our priesthood lesson on obedience yesterday, and today's thread on white shirts got me thinking.

We've discussed all the cataclysmic commands that God could possibly ever give (go slaughter the Amalekites, give your wife to the prophet, go take a slave, etc.), and tried to find our own personal line in the sand.

I'm curious ... what about the other direction? How many of you believe that prophetic counsel on life's minutiae is advice, and how many believe it is commandment?

I remember Hinckley coming to BYU (in 2000?) and giving a talk that included counsel to young women to wear only one earring in each ear. I've since wanted to ask him if he regretted saying that, because I'm quite sure that's all anyone remembers about the talk. Did he go too far?

What if it was the prophet who said "white shirts only" instead of someone's stake president? What about tattoos? What if he said "no more watching sports on Sunday"? And on and on ....

So we know some of you would never pull an Abraham/Isaac no matter what God said. Fair enough. What about your earrings?

I'm honestly curious.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote