cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Places to Live

Reading about Noah's possible move to Memphis got me started thinking about all the places I could live. I can really see myself living anywhere but one of the main reasons why I live in Utah is BYU football. Let me explain:

I've lived in San Diego, Arizona, Salt Lake, and internationally (in Montreal when I was a small kid). I've travelled extensively internationally and throughout the U.S for both business and pleasure. I've generally enjoyed just about everywhere I've been. There are always interesting things to see, interesting people to meet. Things like climate and availability of outdoor activities and such are just what you make of it - every place has its advantages and disadvantages but nothing that really makes me favor one place over another. I could see myself living in rural places in the midwest. I could see myself living in urban areas like New York or Los Angeles. I could see myself living in the South or up in the cold midwest. Thus, one place is as good as the other - I could pretty much see myself living anywhere.

I've often contemplated moving out of Utah - just for some variety. I don't have any strong family ties that keep me here - my parents live in Hawaii, sister in Florida, sister in Texas, and brother in Oregon. I don't have any strong friendship ties that keep me here - I have friends everywhere and besides, I can always make new friends wherever I go (you'ld be surprised how many people I can befriend despite the fact that I'm a big fat meanie). I'm not worried about raising my children in one location over another - I believe that what actually goes on inside our home will have a much stronger impact on my kids than the town in which I raise them. I don't avoid moving simply because I "love my ward" or any silly thing like that.

I started thinking about why I live here in Utah, or rather, why living in Utah has any advantages over anywhere else. About the only advantage I could think of that I actually care about is that living in Utah allows me to attend BYU football games. Everything else is pretty much equal in my mind. Thus I don't live here solely because of BYU football; however, BYU football is a unique advantage that other places simply don't have. All other things being equal, BYU football is an advantage that tips the scales in Utah's favor. As long as I'm able to comfortably support my family and enjoy my work, I might as well stay in SLC - that way I can still attend BYU Football games. Of course, if someone wants to dangle a million dollars in front of me to get me to move, I would heartily accept.

So, what advantages does your current location have that keep you there? Alternatively, if you dislike your current location, what is preventing you from moving?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote