cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
We may be in big trouble but I'm sure glad UCLA won. If we can pull it out it'll look a lot better now.
The big question mark is fucla's D. Frankly, Rocky Top's QB is awful.

How tested were the bruin DBs?

I think Max will give them much more to consider when they face off in two weeks.

That being said, the Bruins looked really good in the second half. Sep 13 is going to be a great game.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

1) we won't be able to line up and run against UCLA.
2) we won't be able to dominate on defensive line of scrimmage either, to put it mildly.

In other words, we are going to lose in the trenches, maybe horrifically, just like the bowl last year, question is if we can win anyway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree.

Am I the only one who wasn't overly impressed with UCLA? Outside of the 4th quarter, all I could think was "we have this one in the bag."

UCLA's offense was awful for 3 quarters. Their D looks good, but BYU has seen it twice in the past year. If we haven't planned for the blitzing scheme of Walker yet, we deserve to lose. BYU's offense is much better than Tennessee's. UCLA's defense is solid, but they aren't as good as they were last year. BYU should win, especially with the home crowd advantage. Kraft looks like he could get rattled, and he never scared me as an Aztec. He certainly doesn't scare me now.
this reminds me of one of your obama posts. woefully over-confident without an ounce of sense.

this is not the same defense, even though last year's defense was incredible, this one will be better.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I'm glad that you mentioned that, because I didn't open this thread wondering what people were saying about UCLA; rather my mind was going "man mikewaters OWNS tripletdaddy!" But now that wrong has been righted.

Back to the thread:
Utah > Big 10
USC > ACC
UCLA > SEC
The funny part about your post is that you proclaim "Back to the thread" and then post a reference to Utah v Michigan.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Wide left. The finger of God strikes again.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1) we won't be able to line up and run against UCLA.
2) we won't be able to dominate on defensive line of scrimmage either, to put it mildly.

In other words, we are going to lose in the trenches, maybe horrifically, just like the bowl last year, question is if we can win anyway.
I thought BYU's DL did well against UCLA's OL. You might not mean it but it appears you are making the argument that OL versus DL matchup is determined solely by the ability to rush the ball. UNI did an admirable job of stopping BYU's rushing attack, but only the dipshits on Cougarboard or Utefans.net believe that indicated that UNI controlled the LOS. They sold their soul to control the BYU rushing attack and Dennis Pitta did things to them as a result that caused parents to cover their young ones' eyes. A balanced offense does not mean equal yard distribution in passing and rushing the ball, it means that the capacity to do both is there.

However, BYU's OL did not do real well last year in the Vegas Bowl and it negatively impacted both the ability to rush and pass. I think BYU is going to get outschemed in Provo, but I don't think it will be to the same extent of the Vegas Bowl.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I thought BYU's DL did well against UCLA's OL. You might not mean it but it appears you are making the argument that OL versus DL matchup is determined solely by the ability to rush the ball. UNI did an admirable job of stopping BYU's rushing attack, but only the dipshits on Cougarboard or Utefans.net believe that indicated that UNI controlled the LOS. They sold their soul to control the BYU rushing attack and Dennis Pitta did things to them as a result that caused parents to cover their young ones' eyes. A balanced offense does not mean equal yard distribution in passing and rushing the ball, it means that the capacity to do both is there.

However, BYU's OL did not do real well last year in the Vegas Bowl and it negatively impacted both the ability to rush and pass. I think BYU is going to get outschemed in Provo, but I don't think it will be to the same extent of the Vegas Bowl.
if BYU is outschemed, and the QB play is competent for UCLA, then UCLA wins because they win in the trenches.

BYU defense is worse than last year.

The scenario that provides BYU with a win is an incredible passing game by Hall et al.

Plus a runback by Chambers would be nice. Their kickoff coverage is awful.

Those DTs for UCLA are going to be monsters. They are going to be dominant. Hopefully they are sensitive to the altitude.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree.

Am I the only one who wasn't overly impressed with UCLA? Outside of the 4th quarter, all I could think was "we have this one in the bag."

UCLA's offense was awful for 3 quarters. Their D looks good, but BYU has seen it twice in the past year. If we haven't planned for the blitzing scheme of Walker yet, we deserve to lose. BYU's offense is much better than Tennessee's. UCLA's defense is solid, but they aren't as good as they were last year. BYU should win, especially with the home crowd advantage. Kraft looks like he could get rattled, and he never scared me as an Aztec. He certainly doesn't scare me now.
I agree that BYU's offense is better, but you underestimate how much better Tennessee's defense is than BYU's. UCLA's offense is going to score 17-21 points on BYU's defense. If UCLA scores on special teams or on defense, they are likely to beat the Cougars. The fact of the matter is when you are playing a team with better pure athletes there is always a chance that a mistake on your part will be exploited.

Regardless, this development is a good thing to happen to BYU, IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #19
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if BYU is outschemed, and the QB play is competent for UCLA, then UCLA wins because they win in the trenches.

BYU defense is worse than last year.

The scenario that provides BYU with a win is an incredible passing game by Hall et al.

Plus a runback by Chambers would be nice. Their kickoff coverage is awful.

Those DTs for UCLA are going to be monsters. They are going to be dominant. Hopefully they are sensitive to the altitude.
I think you might be surprised. I believe BYU's offense will be fairly effective. IMO UCLA is going to need to either win the TO battle or score off of special teams, however the Bruins clearly have the athletic advantage to pull that off.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 AM   #20
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree that BYU's offense is better, but you underestimate how much better Tennessee's defense is than BYU's. UCLA's offense is going to score 17-21 points on BYU's defense. If UCLA scores on special teams or on defense, they are likely to beat the Cougars. The fact of the matter is when you are playing a team with better pure athletes there is always a chance that a mistake on your part will be exploited.

Regardless, this development is a good thing to happen to BYU, IMO.
The key for BYU is going to be getting rid of the ball quickly. Walker is masterful at bringing a ton of people and forcing a quick decision by the offense. If BYU is ready for that, and they ought to be by now, they will win. UCLA has a good defense, but they simply aren't going to be better than last year's version (which was very good). What's more, UCLA had a lot of injuries today at key positions (TE and RB).

UCLA will wind up in the middle of the Pac 10. Tennessee is overrated, and they didn't play particularly well. If BYU can't beat a middle of the pack Pac 10 team, they aren't a top 15 team, and I think BYU is a legit top 15 team.

Cougs win by 7 or more.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote