cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Mike's linking of murder and Prop 8

This is not a post against any stance on Prop 8, but against the bullshit linking Mike's been making of church's stance on Prop 8 and murder, due to the increase of gay suicide.

This is one of the lamest, inconsistent and most manipulative techniques I've seen used on this board by anyone with a brain (that is to exclude Rocky, Norcal, and maybe a couple others).

Mike, there are 6B people in the world and 1M suicides per year. There are probably 1M different reasons for those suicides.

What are your pet beliefs and could any of those potentially add to the 1M suicide count?

pro-gun. Could this add to the suicide count? Pro-gun = murder.

anti-abortion. Out of 1M, how many were due to guilt of someone who had received or authorized an abortion? Anti-abortion = murder.

LDS church. LDS church puts guilt and social pressures on many of its members. Some commit suicide because of it. if you're for the church, you're a murderer.

You voted for Bush? I bet at least one of those 1M attributed hopelessness in the US politics and future as their reason for suicide. vote for Bush = suicide lovers.

Are you taking into account the number of gays who might commit suicide due to their lover marrying someone else?

Seriously, there's no limits to where you could take this.

If you were taken to tasks for any of your beliefs, you would stand strong, and say you have truth and righteousness on your side, and be damned any of the weak who commit suicide due to any of your convictions.

If Bin Laden announced one of his team would commit suicide every day until the the US president publicly admitted they were infidels and commanded the entire country to worship Allah, would you be for it? Hey, you don't want to contribute to the suicide total do you?

Let it go Mike. A vote against Prop 8 is not a direct cause to the "body count piling up" as you said. You're stretching way too far. It's inconsistent, hypocritical and beneath you.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My post is like a Rorschach. It reveals the character of the people that engage it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Rorschach1.jpg
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My post is like a Rorschach. It reveals the character of the people that engage it.

It's a bat.

OK, then if you're willing to engage. What would you say to someone who said pro-gun = pro-suicide? I believe there is definitive research that shows access to guns increases suicide rates.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Adam was the one who made the point that GAs are indifferent to the suicides in their midst.

I don't know if they are or not.

However, comments like "Shot birds flutter" to Julie Beck make me think there are at least a few who are indifferent.

Let's not pretend that there is one iota of compassion for gays and their families in Prop 8. Let's just get that out of the way.

If you are looking for church compassion on gays, look at what Affirmation is asking for, and then consider that it has not been done.

But why I am saying this to you? There is no compassion whatsoever in your post either. "Shot birds flutter."

Is your general compassion in life an intellectual kind, one that is based on theories, and books? Or is it something grounded in your fiber?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Looks like a blood-sucking killer rabbit to me.

So what does that mean?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That placenta print is gorgeous. Thank you for posting.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Adam was the one who made the point that GAs are indifferent to the suicides in their midst.

I don't know if they are or not.

However, comments like "Shot birds flutter" to Julie Beck make me think there are at least a few who are indifferent.

Let's not pretend that there is one iota of compassion for gays and their families in Prop 8. Let's just get that out of the way.

If you are looking for church compassion on gays, look at what Affirmation is asking for, and then consider that it has not been done.

But why I am saying this to you? There is no compassion whatsoever in your post either. "Shot birds flutter."

Is your general compassion in life an intellectual kind, one that is based on theories, and books? Or is it something grounded in your fiber?
What's your answer to my question on guns? I'll put $1,000 down that it's "shot birds flutter".

Dude, I'm the bleeding heart liberal when it comes to church issues--in theory and in practice. Comments like "shot birds flutter" make me shudder. I'm not sure how I'd vote on Prop 8. I have five kids--this is the only place I have time in my life for anything theoretical. And my views on this come from my life experiences, not anything intellectual or theoretical.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Prop. 8

keeping marraige between man and woman.

what compassion is needed?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Prop. 8

keeping marraige between man and woman.

what compassion is needed?
You are right. There is none needed. And none applied.

The smarter groups throw in a caveat--"we are not the people that commit violence against gays, we are not protesting in front of the court house trying to prevent them from visiting their partners in the hospital (as long as they have an executed legal document specifying so). But we do think that they are immoral, that any love they feel in intimate relationships is false and devilish, and no child raised by such people can hope for a moral upbringing."

This is currently what goes for compassion. It's a very low standard.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Mike...

Let me ask you a question.

Say your son is in a 1st grade class with 18 kids and they have all been given a science project to do.

There are awards given for the top 3 projects.

How many kids in your mind should recieve a reward?