cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default The Mormon on 30 Days

I don't know whether to put this in Religion, Media, or Politics, but this category seems to get the most play here...

Did anyone see the 30 Days with the Mormon housewife from CA who stayed with the gay couple from Ann Arbor? I had recorded it a long time ago and finally got around to watching it this last weekend. A few impressions:

- I would have liked to have seen the intermediate position defended, i.e. allow gay couples to adopt, but in cases where there is a heterosexual couple and a gay couple available, all other things being equal, the hetero couple should get preference. This lady was trying to defend the idea that gay couples should NEVER be allowed to adopt, no matter what the circumstances. As she was taken through the foster system in Detroit, it became somewhat hard to defend the idea that these kids would be better off in a foster home than any gay couple's home.

- I'm a little surprised at how personal things became. Most of the gay people whom she met became very outwardly hostile towards her as they found out about her positions. Maybe it's because I've never been a oppressed minority that I have difficulty, but I would think they could take the position of disagreement without hatred/hostility.

Last edited by ERCougar; 08-11-2008 at 09:15 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
- I'm a little surprised at how personal things became. Most of the gay people whom she met became very outwardly hostile towards her as they found out about her positions. Maybe it's because I've never been a repressed minority that I have difficulty, but I would think they could take the position of disagreement without hatred/hostility.
Are gays really oppressed? As of right now, the only thing I'm aware of that they are not allowed is to be legally recognized as married.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Are gays really oppressed? As of right now, the only thing I'm aware of that they are not allowed is to be legally recognized as married.
You answer the question:

Would you date a gay man?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You answer the question:

Would you date a gay man?
Only if that gay man was John Stockton.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I don't know whether to put this in Religion, Media, or Politics, but this category seems to get the most play here...

Did anyone see the 30 Days with the Mormon housewife from CA who stayed with the gay couple from Ann Arbor? I had recorded it a long time ago and finally got around to watching it this last weekend. A few impressions:

- I would have liked to have seen the intermediate position defended, i.e. allow gay couples to adopt, but in cases where there is a heterosexual couple and a gay couple available, all other things being equal, the hetero couple should get preference. This lady was trying to defend the idea that gay couples should NEVER be allowed to adopt, no matter what the circumstances. As she was taken through the foster system in Detroit, it became somewhat hard to defend the idea that these kids would be better off in a foster home than any gay couple's home.

- I'm a little surprised at how personal things became. Most of the gay people whom she met became very outwardly hostile towards her as they found out about her positions. Maybe it's because I've never been a repressed minority that I have difficulty, but I would think they could take the position of disagreement without hatred/hostility.
Yesterday, during my "discussion" with the VTs, one of the VTs mentioned that she felt that kids would be better off not being adopted, as opposed to being adopted by a gay couple.

She also stated:

1. Prop 8 has nothing to do with gay people
2. The blacks/priesthood issue is not relevant to black people today
3. The gay marriage issue will wind up destroying our country and that we will be weakened as a result

It was like shooting fish in a barrel (although not sure why you would put/shoot live fish in a barrel).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you hassling visiting teachers?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yesterday, during my "discussion" with the VTs, one of the VTs mentioned that she felt that kids would be better off not being adopted, as opposed to being adopted by a gay couple.

She also stated:

1. Prop 8 has nothing to do with gay people
2. The blacks/priesthood issue is not relevant to black people today
3. The gay marriage issue will wind up destroying our country and that we will be weakened as a result

It was like shooting fish in a barrel (although not sure why you would put/shoot live fish in a barrel).
why do you have VTs? Are you gay?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Why are you hassling visiting teachers?
I wasn't, per se.

But if you come into my home and I happen to walk by, not even really intending to talk to you (other than a polite, "Hey, Indycoug...what's up?")...and then you STOP me as a I walk by and say, "Hey, I heard you are against Prop 8...why would you want to do that?".....then prepare to engage.

And your fool "link?" strategy wouldn't work in a live discussion, so don't try any of that jibba jabba.

These are good women, but one of them is overzealous. And she needs to stop assuming that everyone thinks the way she does simply because we are all LDS. I have a feeling that she will not make the same comments about Prop 8 the next time she raises it with a new person. Perhaps she will be more thougtful in her approach. Or just stay quiet.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
why do you have VTs? Are you gay?
If I were gay, I would want home teachers, not visiting teachers.

My wife was being visited. I was upstairs, but came downstairs to go outside with my son and throw rocks at a spider web.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Maybe "oppressed" is a poor choice of words. Just leave it at minority.

I'm not really up on the practical difference between civil union and marriage, so I can't really answer that portion of the question. They certainly are discriminated against and ostracized in much of society. What I'm getting at is that maybe these things become very personal because the road they've walked has been so difficult already.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote