cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #141
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, but I don't know how being called mission president is any different than other church callings as to whether or not you feel justified for turning it down.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #142
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't doubt there are some who are called who aren't wealthy. I would argue they are the clear exception to the rule. Simply peruse the Church News around calling time and read up on the new presidents. You will find a lot of corporate officers, doctors, etc. You will not find a lot of school teachers, construction workers, etc.
Well, if I were in charge I would want to call folks who were intelligent, educated, and had significant management experience. In addition to strong faith, obviously.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #143
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think Waters would be a truly excellent Mission President. Next time I chance a meeting with someone in the Mormon aristocracy I'll be sure to mension his name. My MP was just about his age.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #144
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Sorry, but I don't know how being called mission president is any different than other church callings as to whether or not you feel justified for turning it down.
Oh come on. This is a bit different than working in the nursery IndyCoug. Name any other church calling, short of GA, that disrupts your career and family life so thoroughly.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #145
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not saying it would be easy to accept the call, I'm saying I'm not familiar with any church callings that are OK to turn down. This, of course, presupposes the belief that calls all originate from God.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #146
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not saying it would be easy to accept the call, I'm saying I'm not familiar with any church callings that are OK to turn down. This, of course, presupposes the belief that calls all originate from God.
This statement presupposes many things.

Why do you believe that God simply identifies one person as MP and then inspires somebody to find him?

"Calls originate from God". Can a call originate from God, or can it be authorized through his chain of command? Isn't it more likely that being endowed with power we are authorized and our decisions are acquiesced in by God?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #147
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Someone needs to have a chat with my bishop. Each time he extends a call to me or my wife he says "You can take a few days to think and pray about it if you want. If it is not the right time for you, I will certainly understand."
Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #148
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Waters would be a truly excellent Mission President. Next time I chance a meeting with someone in the Mormon aristocracy I'll be sure to mension his name. My MP was just about his age.
I'll be a mission president right after you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #149
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't think there is much of a distinction between an allowance and being paid. Either way, you get money. They church system is based on need/assignment. Once that is determined, they get more or less a set amount each month (like a salary). The difference between an allowance as the church uses it and a salary is marginal at best.

I don't have a problem with any of this either (and don't understand why you find it "hurtful"). They need money to live and the church gives it to them. Problem solved. In fact, I would argue that the SHOULD be paying mission presidents in order to make it possible for the non-wealthy to serve in that capacity. The church is seriously limiting the pool of mission president candidates by only having the wealthy available for selection.
a lawyer of all people doesn't feel there is a distinction between the two words?

Pay implys receiving money for work or services rendered, as if the person were an employee. MP's and GA's most certainly aren't employees.

Allowance implys money given out at regular intervals. We have a lay priesthood and the finacial means to cover the considerable living and travel expenses of our volunteer priesthood.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #150
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My MP was just about his age.
Yeah, and look how well that worked out for you.